• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Checked my rails....uh oh :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
OK, well I just got an enermax EG651P-VE 550 watt psu from a friend. I went poking through motherboard monitor to find that my 5 volt rail is at 3.04 volts. My 12 volt rail is at 11.49 volts. This sounds way off. I am a little scared about that 5 volt rail.

I also tried sisoft sandra and it reports the same voltages. Is this possible??? Could it be the software malfunctioning or is my psu really this out of whack?

-Collin-

my PC crashes when my 3.3volt rail is lower than 3.10V.... And your 5V is lower than that. Try pc health monitor in bios. Those voltages must be the right ones.

The software is functioning perfectly. It is the sensors on your motherboard that may not be showing the correct values. Try and use a multimeter for checking them. Then if they are showing low you should correct it.

OK, checked with the volt meter. 5.03 on the 5v and 11.98 on the 12v. Not so bad after all. Wonder why the readings are so far off :(

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
OK, checked with the volt meter. 5.03 on the 5v and 11.98 on the 12v. Not so bad after all. Wonder why the readings are so far off :(

-Collin-

You don't OC a Fluke meter so why would you expect a MB to give accurate voltage readings. LOL

Well it's the nature of electronics. By the time it gets to the intended sensor it has passed through a number of resistors and capacitors. It is a different reading than the line feeding it.
That is why we always mention how important using your multimeter is to check your lines. Never trust the accuracy of the motherboard sensors.
The program reporting the values, were accurate with what was bieng read. So you know your sensor is getting that particular value. Not much help for the rest of the system though. :D

NinjaZX6R said:

-Collin-
Could be that the FETs and caps on the board are bad. My K8N Neo2 was like that. PSU rails were fine but at each voltage point they read horribly.

Back