• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MEMtest questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Centinul

Registered
Ok I did the L12 Mod on my 2500 Mobile. It worked and everything is fine and dandy. I tried doing memtest at 235 and it's erroring out. I got about 10 errors in 5 hours.... What can cause mem test errors?

I'm trying to achieve max FSB.... I have my Vdimm set to the max that my RAM supports. Would there be any noticable difference between CAS 2 and CAS 2.5?

My memory is Musking PC3500 Lvl1 currently @ 2-3-3-11..

Thanks for all the help!

What's your chipset voltage?

memtest shows you the speed of the memory operating at upper left corner: so if you want to know the difference at CAS 2 and 2.5, just look at the number.

my chipset voltage is set to 1.7v..

Would an older version of memtest really make a difference on the error count? Thanks!

An older version might not detect your ram correctly. When running MemTest a few things could cause an error. If the CPU is clocked too high it could cause an error in MemTest. If the NorthBridge (Chipset) is running too hot then It could cause an error. And the memory itself could cause an error. Try loosening the timing of the memory and see if you still get the errors.

Try upping your CPU votlage also. I would always get errors in test 5 if my CPU voltage was too low. I also have the problem where when memtest loads if I try to hit a button to select a test it automatically reboots. Same issue there also, not enough core voltage.

If my processor is prime stable at that speed though... why would I have to up the voltage??

EDIT:: Here is the memory configuration of my system

ALl PC 3500 LVL1 Mushkin (2-3-3)

2 x 256Mb in DC Mode
1 x 512Mb

Should I make everything in single channel? How much of a performance hit would I take?

I've currently raised CAS settings to 3-3-3 and I am testing with memtest

Update..... Anything over 230 and I fail mem test... I'm running Merlin D27 CPC off BIOS... should I try and use the CPC on bios? Thanks!

S0 you are running a total of 1 gig of ram then. Depending on which slots you put the RAM in wil determine if you are in single or dual channel mode. For DC to work you need the same amount of ram on each channel. So you 2 x 256 RAM chips should be in the memory slots that are closest to each other. The 512 RAM chip should go in the slot that is over by itself.

Loosen your timings more too. I am running PC-4400 at 2.5-3-3-11 right now at 245 mhz. If I try to go to CAS 2 I fail in Memtest.

ya I know how to put myself in DC or SC.. what I am asking is if I should move over to SC mode?? also I've tried loosening timings.. no go

Centinul said:
If my processor is prime stable at that speed though... why would I have to up the voltage??

EDIT:: Here is the memory configuration of my system

ALl PC 3500 LVL1 Mushkin (2-3-3)

2 x 256Mb in DC Mode
1 x 512Mb

Should I make everything in single channel? How much of a performance hit would I take?

I've currently raised CAS settings to 3-3-3 and I am testing with memtest

Well lets see, cause my CPU was prime stable (small FFT) for 24 hours, but I failed memtest untill I upped my CPU voltage a tad!

Which prime test were you running?

If I remember correctly I was doing the Blend test. But I'm not totally positive

With your mem not matched, it will be tough to get much higher without errors. What baffles me is that you are prime stable with memtest errors.

Are you running double sided or single sided chips on your ram? That would make a diff in the bios, as well as the fact that you have 1 gig, you should be running cpc off.

I understand you know how to run dual channel, but I think in this case, with mismatched ram, it won't matter if you run 2X256 in dual with the 512 in single, because 1X256 and 1X512 will still be together in one channel with the other 256 in the other channel. 2slots run channel 1 and 1 slots runs channel 2. No matter how you configure the sticks, you will still be trying to run mismatched ram in dual channel, and therefore be limiting the OCability.
That being the case, I think you'd be better off running the whole 1gig in dual, with the 2X256 in one channel and the 512 in the other.

How long were you stable in prime blend and still erroring in memtest? running cas 2.5 would be fine with the fsb getting up in the 230s. Your raw speed would compensate for the bandwidth loss.

I'm pretty sure I had prime stable for 24 hours. It's been a long time since I've tested it. I believe my RAM is double sided. It's Mushkin PC3500 LVL 1 memory. I guess I'm just asking too much out of my setup and at this point I think I have to give up asking for FSB's in 230's. Thanks for all the help! :)

Back