• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium LGA775 - Fan Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mOtH3r_bUrN3R

Registered
I built a computer for my friend... I decided to go with the LGA775 chipset 3.4 version (I usually steer clear of Intel but it's what he wanted). The fan that comes with the CPU is a real piece of work, not in a good way.

My question:

Has anyone else had an issue with the stock CPU fan and heatsink that comes with this chipset? Currently, it does not sit flush and leads to frequent shutting of the CPU. I can avoid the issue by sitting the case on its side, but this is not a fix I want to have my friend using.

Can anyone suggest a replacement heatsink and fan for this CPU.

Thanks in advance

Burner....

p.s. - I know this is a fan/heatsink issue, but I wanted to post here since it is a stock bundled fan/heatsink rather than an aftermarket piece.

its a completely different cooler, but the box cooler that came with my s478 P4 never clipped down with enough pressure to even spread AS5 out, so i guess you could call that a problem - temps got in the low 60's while playing SOFII... thats terrible

but truly, no intel HSF is even half decent, sure they get the job done, but not very well

if you/your friend want to spend the cash on a much better hSF, i'm gonna have to reccomend the the zalman 7700 Cu, or Al-Cu found here:

Cu: http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2600&cat=182&page=1

Al-Cu:http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2599&cat=182&page=1

From my experience with LGA 775, and the HSF, I had to continue to reseat the stock HSF till it was completely flush with the cpu core. This was aggrevating, It wouls be like a car having to crank it and crank it till it came on. So I went and got a better one.. now boots on first try everytime. So that what i would suggest..be carful though those lil plastic pegs on em' become messed up after a few times.

You don't have the heatsink properly clipped into place. These LGA775 heatsinks are a pain to properly install. With the heatsink off, make sure the push-pin legs are unlocked (rotate the head) and pulled all the way up. Maybe test it with it off to make sure you understand how it works. You have to push each of the four legs all the way down until you hear it click, then while still pressing it down you need to lock it into place by turning the head of the pin. Do that to all four. Once it's mounted, push down a little on each leg. If it acts "springy" then it's not locked all the way down. Often you can get 3 of the legs locked good, but one will be stubborn. I have found it's easier to mount the heatsink with the mobo out of the case.

Ya, I had it locked in place before I mailed it....guess in the mail it came loose. Anyways, I think I will go with the recommendation to buy something else. I don't want him to continually struggle with this HSF.

Thanks all, glad to see I am not alone on this issue.

Burner....

ive never had a problem with the stock cooler on my LGA775 550 processor (same as ur friend's) its quite obvious that u didnt seat it right in its place.. i found out that the best way is to rotate the clips 1/4 clock wise to the lock positions THEN push it down on mobo.. and of course be careful of hurting the clips or the mobo.. it will fit 100% this way.. another thing is to apply the thinnest layer of thermal paste..

LGA HSF are alot better than previous intel ones.. but of course they still not as good as other HSF.. id strongly recommend Thermalright XP-120 iam getting one soon. g/l

EDIT: my temps are 41-43 idle and 51-53 and rarely reaches 56 in minor cases..

I found the stock s775 heatsink/fan worked well.

But I replaced mine with a CoolerMaster Hyper 48 as the intel one was a bit loud for my tastes.

Thanks for all the posts guys, I will be sure to replace it ASAP. Turns out my friend tried to reattach it anyways and broke the bottom of one of the clips. Looks like its time for a new HSF anyways.

Burner.....

ps- I had it attached properly before shipment, UPS and FedEx aren't the best when shipping computers. They tend to bang the boxes around no matter how much you tell them to baby them or ship them in foam/cardboard/styrofoam. This is the second "issue" I have had with them in the past month. They broke the wheels of my Lian-Li Server case, which I was not too pleased about.

Back