• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD data lifeguard tools question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Does anyone know if this software will allow changing the seek characteristics for low noise or max performance? I'd like to leave my machine on all night for Folding but it is simply annoying to hear the hard drive seeking all night.

It will not perform any drive feature changing tasks.

Hell it won't even change the UDMA mode.

Western Digital has to have the worst hard drive tool collection.

Tmod

thats a hardware thing u cant change it with software period. its always gonna be the same. id say just get used to it then u should be ok eventually im used to my beast doin crap and its 3 feet from my head

Or I could get a hard drive silencer or sandwhich it between big aluminum slabs....... Might try that someday.

Airbornederekc
thats a hardware thing u cant change it with software period.

You can change it on Hitachi drives through software. I just don't know why WD doesn't let you do it.

Tmod

u can actually slow down the access time using software?

that means if it can be slowed it can be increased through some clever tweaking.

quick someone who can figure out that get on it

Hitachi calls it Acoustic Management, It is selctable between quiet and performance and also has a disabled.

They also offer a few other items that can be changed.

Tmod

Actually I forgot one very important variable in comp noise, my side panels.

Put them back on and the seeks can barely be heard over ambient noise from outside.

Back