• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why so many refurb 6600's at newegg?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yeha

just look at this search, i count 19 refurbed 6600s compared to only 3 refurbed 6600gts, as of feb 17th. the prices look good to me, but why are so many stock 6600s being sent back?

makes me a bit wary. could they all be from people expecting agp cards?

Most likely people who are being dishonest and returning bad clocking cards or they are flat out defective. No way of knowing either way. Or it could be what you mentioned.

If you are uncomfortable just get a GT. They arent THAT much more ;)

i think it must be people buying them expecting agp cards. the 6600 non-gt just isn't popular enough to have kids buying them, testing oc potential and returning en-masse. it's not like they're mobile bartons or anything, but they do seem to regularly post 80-90% core overclocks.

as soon as an oc-friendly socket-939 pci-e microatx board shows up, i'll be all over a refurb 6600. msi why-oh-why did you make the rs480m2 bios suck so hard.

most cards on newegg that's refurb are bad OCer, you might run them at stock but don't expect to get a good OC out of it, check it out, newegg has alot of customers that's in the OCing community (trust me, they do), and the chances of someone buying a 6600 are most likely a gamer or OC who knows about framerate, and graphic card (normal consumer wouldn't even think about buying a 150 bucks graphic card, and if they buy a graphic card, that means they have some type of knowledge about computer). So in the end, one can conclude that those refurb cards are not gonna OC at all.

Sentential said:
Most likely people who are being dishonest and returning bad clocking cards or they are flat out defective. No way of knowing either way. Or it could be what you mentioned.

If you are uncomfortable just get a GT. They arent THAT much more ;)

Actaully its probally from all the reviews. Newegg sends new cards out to sites for reviews, they are then sent back to newegg, and put in the refurb section.

interesting! one could conceivably search for 6600 non-gt reviews that mention newegg, match the card reviewed up with the newegg refurb section, and already know how that individual one oc's before buying it.

of course if newegg sent out more than one of any model you'd be in trouble.

oh well, hopefully the refurb 6600's are still around when the next wave of ati xpress200 boards show up.

Back