• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit or dfi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futangclan

Registered
i have decided to go with an amd xp system for budget purposes. i will be getting a mobile xp processor, but i'm still deciding on the motherboard. i've never overclocked a system, but i would like to get the most out of my system. so far, i've narrowed it down to the abit nf7-s v 2.0 or the dfi lanparty nfii ultra b.

from what i've read, both of these boards can overclock well, but the dfi has more fsb potential and has a few more features. the dfi board looks great but i am concerned about the bios issues i've read about.

which board would be better for a first time overclocker?

If you have no experience, it is much easier to mess up the DFI, and you need ram that can take advantage of the high fsb abilities. The NF7 boards are great, have a lot of modded bios, and many people have gotten great fsb overclocks with them. For you, I would get the NF7-S.

Careful: the NF-7S 2.0 is |b]NOT[/b] the NF7-S: different boards with different features. The NF7-S 2.0 is less of a overclocker

With that ram, definitly get the NF7-S, the board you have a link to. At this point, I would say there probably isn't much of a difference between the 35 and 45 watt 2400 chips. What cooling and PSU are you going to get?

If you want the best for your system I would say go DFI. If you want to learn more then for with Abit. I use a DFI LanPary NF3 250Gb and it works nicely.

i already have the Zalman CNPS7000BCu Pure Copper HSF. i think it should be sufficient. i have a thermaltake 420 watt psu lying around, and my antec 3700bqe case also came with a psu. which one would be better? i'm trying to keep this system as quiet as possible as well.

thanks for all the help. just about the only decision i have to make is video card. i'm going crazy trying to find a decent fanless video card under $100. i'm only a moderate gamer. any suggestions?

crap...i just looked up motherboard compatibility and the abit board is not compatible with my zalman hsf. i'm not sure if the dfi board is either...

futangclan said:
crap...i just looked up motherboard compatibility and the abit board is not compatible with my zalman hsf. i'm not sure if the dfi board is either...
Probably not then :(

_____

Seriously tho, why not consider an Athlon64? They arent but maybe $50 more. What is your price limit?

is the thermalright si97 compatible with either of these boards? according to their website it is, but i want to make sure before i blow money on it.

If the manufactors website says it is and looks detailed and not some pos site. Then odds are they know and have it right.

Back