• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with MSI K8N Neo2 and Far Cry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fordsierra4x4

For some reason, Far Cry absolutely REFUSES point blank to run on my machine, even at stock settings.

It'll load up fine, but it'll either hang while loading a level, or it'll run through the first 20 seconds or so, and then hang, or just spontaneously reboot. Bearing in mind that even at standard 200x9 settings, with all the memory settings trimmed back to 2.5-4-4-8 at 2.85v 2T 1:1, it STILL doesn't work.

3DMark is much the same story. The application loads, and 20 seconds in - hang or spontaneous reboot.

I'm getting a bit ****ed off with my Athlon64 rig - beginning to regret buying it. I'm seriously tempted to go back to my AthlonXP - at least on that, Far Cry and 3DMark worked....

Does anyone have ANY idea what to do?

That CBBID 0451, coupled with the MSI Neo 2 is the worst combination I have had to deal with myself. I sold the MSI and grabbed an Abit A8V 3rd eye. Problems went away. I had graphic issues on almost all the games I played, and 3Dmark. Ditch the MSI motherboard.

Hard to do when you just spent the last £200 of your student loan on an upgrade.

I cannot afford to upgrade or change any hardware for at least another 4 months.

I have no problems with anything else - Half Life 2 works fine, Doom III, Quake III, Jedi Knight II - they're all fine - and no graphical corruption.

The only programs which have issues are Far Cry and 3DMark (all of them)

Whats supposed to be wrong with the 0451 CBBID anyway? From what i've gathered on these forums, everyones crying out for this stepping...

NinjaWreck said:
That CBBID 0451, coupled with the MSI Neo 2 is the worst combination I have had to deal with myself. I sold the MSI and grabbed an Abit A8V 3rd eye. Problems went away. I had graphic issues on almost all the games I played, and 3Dmark. Ditch the MSI motherboard.
Yup same thing here as well. Glad you like your AV8. :beer: What RAM are you using? I hope these dont have an issue with TCCD :-/

It could also be Service Pack 2 for WinXP

Sentential said:
Yup same thing here as well. Glad you like your AV8. :beer: What RAM are you using? I hope these dont have an issue with TCCD :-/

It could also be Service Pack 2 for WinXP

I am using G. Skill LE's. They work great with the board and my FX 55, but the 3200 winnie I bought to play with is sh**. It won't run stable over 2.4Ghz even with 1.6 v. Im really am not pushing my FX 55 too hard. I have it at 2860mhz 11 x 260 with 4x HTT.

fordsierra4x4 said:
For some reason, Far Cry absolutely REFUSES point blank to run on my machine, even at stock settings.

It'll load up fine, but it'll either hang while loading a level, or it'll run through the first 20 seconds or so, and then hang, or just spontaneously reboot. Bearing in mind that even at standard 200x9 settings, with all the memory settings trimmed back to 2.5-4-4-8 at 2.85v 2T 1:1, it STILL doesn't work.

3DMark is much the same story. The application loads, and 20 seconds in - hang or spontaneous reboot.

I'm getting a bit ****ed off with my Athlon64 rig - beginning to regret buying it. I'm seriously tempted to go back to my AthlonXP - at least on that, Far Cry and 3DMark worked....

Does anyone have ANY idea what to do?
have you tried running memtest just to make sure you have got a ram compatibility issue,or even trying it in single channel if you dont have it there allready.
I thought I read on these forums somewhere that the msi boards didt like uing 4 sticks of ram,but I could be wrong.

dang! tons of A64 and MSI bashin' everytime an isolated user has trouble with SOFTWARE.

my MSI Neo2 + Winnie 3000 runs great on HalfLife 2, Far Cry, Doom3, 3DMark, Colin McRae 2005, MoA: Pacific, Sims2, WinXP, Win2003, Linux, SolidWorks 2k5. stable for weeks without any reboot or BSOD, heavy multitasking, played tons of movies, encoded a couple of DVDs, burned over 40+ CDs since i got this rig, and all this on an overclocked A64 with Neo2 and a cheap-arse 350W PSU.

just telling people that are shopping around for an MSI that it aint all bad. forums tend to highlight only the bad cases, while there are hundreds of MSI users that are running A64 rigs with no problems whatsoever.

Tiesto said:
dang! tons of A64 and MSI bashin' everytime an isolated user has trouble with SOFTWARE.

my MSI Neo2 + Winnie 3000 runs great on HalfLife 2, Far Cry, Doom3, 3DMark, Colin McRae 2005, MoA: Pacific, Sims2, WinXP, Win2003, Linux, SolidWorks 2k5. stable for weeks without any reboot or BSOD, heavy multitasking, played tons of movies, encoded a couple of DVDs, burned over 40+ CDs since i got this rig, and all this on an overclocked A64 with Neo2 and a cheap-arse 350W PSU.

just telling people that are shopping around for an MSI that it aint all bad. forums tend to highlight only the bad cases, while there are hundreds of MSI users that are running A64 rigs with no problems whatsoever.

AGREED :D my k8n neo2 is perfect, very fast no problems what so ever except my gay winchester 3200 doesn't liked to be overclocked (same problems with previous A8V deluxe)

Good for you guys, but for Sent, I , and a few others including the original thread starter, it was the motherboard. Same issues with the same motherboard. RMA it or get a different one.

Erm - i said nothing about it being a massive problem - i was simply asking if others had had this particular problem. So far, posters have either had massive problems with everything, or none at all.

I find it hard to believe that everything else (including memtest and superpi) would run perfectly, but because it wont run far cry - it HAS to be the motherboard. I'm more inclined to believe its something to do with the way my system is set up, rather than just give up, believe its a hardware error and spend a month without a computer while the board is being RMA'd.

When i can AFFORD to upgrade, i'm going to get a GeForce 6600GT and an MSI K8N Neo4. In the meantime, i'm having to deal with my Radeon 9700 non-pro.

On the subject of the Radeon - could it be an issue with drivers and the like?

fordsierra4x4 said:
Erm - i said nothing about it being a massive problem - i was simply asking if others had had this particular problem. So far, posters have either had massive problems with everything, or none at all.

I find it hard to believe that everything else (including memtest and superpi) would run perfectly, but because it wont run far cry - it HAS to be the motherboard. I'm more inclined to believe its something to do with the way my system is set up, rather than just give up, believe its a hardware error and spend a month without a computer while the board is being RMA'd.

When i can AFFORD to upgrade, i'm going to get a GeForce 6600GT and an MSI K8N Neo4. In the meantime, i'm having to deal with my Radeon 9700 non-pro.

On the subject of the Radeon - could it be an issue with drivers and the like?

Denial is the first symptom. Im sorry, but I have no patience for this kind of shi**y hardware. I sell the stuff and buy new stuff. I never had these kind of problems with my Intels.

NinjaWreck said:
Denial is the first symptom. Im sorry, but I have no patience for this kind of shi**y hardware. I sell the stuff and buy new stuff. I never had these kind of problems with my Intels.

Think yourself lucky that you can afford to go out and do that - i live on a budget of £6426 a year, and dont have enough hours in the week left over for a job.

After playing around with some things, I finally figured out my problem. Not the motherboard. Not the CPU. (both of which seem to come under the category of 'shi**y' hardware)

It was in fact, the memory. I took out two DIMM's, rebooted, set the command rate to 1T and Far Cry plays fine now.

I'm still a little confused as to why 4 DIMM's seem to have a problem in any A64 board - the manufacturers put them on the board - so it must be for good reason.

Ah well, now i guess i'll have to live with only 512mb for the time being.

Anyone want to buy two GeIL PC3500 Ultra Platinums for £20 each? :D

Had no idea yo had four dimms in there. I don't remember you mentioning that. I understand most people don't have money to do that kinda upgrading.

Yeah - it was in my sig before i updated it earlier today...

I'd like to know why Athlon64 motherboards include 4 DIMM slots, when almost nobody can run 4 DIMM's without problems...

On the upside, i'm now able to run stably at lower voltages now - 8.3% overvolt rather than 10% overvolt, and tighter timings of 2.5-3-3-8 rather than 2.5-4-4-8.

Back