• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Palit GeForce 6800nu - owned! -pls check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

Finally got a Palit GeForce 6800!!!!!!

late xmas gift fo maself.. but i aint complaining... it's just second hand but in perfect condition.. the owner was upgrading into the SLI world..

anyway, just got it installed.. too busy to play with it.. but just peeped in briefly.. everything seems to be in order.... fpr 3 things..

1) Everest INFO

Here's a shot:
everest_GPU_shot.jpg

Pipelines = check
Vertex Shaders = check
Buswidth = check
Memory Bus Type = DDR3 (??)
Memory Size = 32MB (huh?!)
GPU Clock = 5 Mhz (what?)
Real CLock 21 Mhz (ngek!?)

etc etc..

what's the deal here?!!

2)
ALso I ran some benchmarks:
3Dmark2001SE = 16175 pts (Corrected)
3Dmark2003 = 8932 pts

are the above figures normal/average for this card?

3) How high is the normal temperature? I get an average 64-68 C on idle!!!!! I've not started Ocing yet.. just got this installed.

Hope you guys will help me maximize this card.. im new to the nVidia thing.. i am using the latest drivers from nVidia (6.14.10) . also downloaded Riva Tuner.. not playing with it yet though till i get advises from ya'll

Tea

Last edited:
My money says Everest is having issues. I am not familiar with that program, but would recommend you use RivaTuner for a more reliable assessment of your nvidia hardware.

Those scores seem about right for your card. The 01 result is very very low and looks more along the line of an 3dmark 05 result rather than an 01 result.

oh dear.. my 2001 score is actually 16175.. i missed one digit.. sorry.. corrected now..

anyway, i did check with riva tuner.. i have:

$0100000000 Graphics core : NV40 revision A1 (12x1,5vp)
$0100000001 Hardwired ID : 0041 (ROM strapped to 0041)
$0100000002 Memory bus : 256-bit
$0100000003 Memory type : DDR (RAM configuration 06)
$0100000004 Memory amount : 131072KB
$0100000005 Core clock : 324.000MHz
$0100000006 Memory clock : 351.000MHz (702.000MHz effective)
$0100000007 Reference clock : 27.000MHz
$010000000b HW masked units : pixel 0100b, vertex 001000b
the above ok?

also, what can ya'll say about me temps?!! it seems so high.. this normal?

(im soo new to this nVidia thing)

temps for those cards do run high, so make sure you reseat the heatsink w/arctic silver and lap it if you have time.
Might be time for a new case fan, too! I had to add some cooling for my 6600GT...
Your 3dmark03 looks a bit low...I get over 9000...

temps for those cards do run high, so make sure you reseat the heatsink w/arctic silver and lap it if you have time.
Might be time for a new case fan, too!

Well, i don't thing i need a new case fan coz, i dont even close my side cover.. i keep it open.. i even have aircon running in my room..

Your 3dmark03 looks a bit low...I get over 9000...

i was afraid of that.. but.. could it be because you have a 64 bit processor?

I dont know about your latest drivers, But those Driver numbers dont jive with whats out now.

As for your temps, I reseated my HS and Ram sink with Arctic Ceramique sp? And my temps went down 3C idle and 15c load. BUT!!!! When i overclocked the core to 350, My Idle temp went down 10c And Load temp went down 25c.

Theres one for the books eah? Weird isnt it? Defies Logic id say. But the numbers dont lie.

Look at the Sticky up yonder about Unlocking and softmodding your 6800nu cards 4 dissabled pipes, and your shader. It Makes a world of difference if you can unlock them. You Use Riva tuner. If youd like strictly a guide on Just useing the rivatuner to do this Ill be happy to post a link to a guide that strictly deals with rivatuner. When i find it LOL. OOPS already sticki'ed up top of main Nvidia section LOL. Sorry

Good Luck.

Harry

i was afraid of that.. but.. could it be because you have a 64 bit processor?

It definitely helps. Well, the 64bit capabilities don't do much, but it is a quick processor, and the on-die memory controller helps alot. I used the 6600GT on an Athlon XP 2600+ rig before and scored around 7700.
Definitely treat the heatsink and upgrade your drivers! Like Harry said, there's tons of new drivers out.
I got a huge speed boost by going with 71.20 (get them from guru3d.com) or 71.24. The higher ones (71.80 and .81) give me some screen flickering and raise my temps a few degrees. I would use at least 67.66 for your card.

And unlock that *******! Get rivatuner.

I dont know about your latest drivers, But those Driver numbers dont jive with whats out now.
well, again im not used to nVidia stuff.. i went to the driver downloads section.. and downloaded the latest.. the filename is

66.93_win2kxp_english.exe

and that's what i got.. but here's a shot:
nvidia_driver_numbers.jpg

what are those other drivers you guys are mentioning about?

As for your temps, I reseated my HS and Ram sink with Arctic Ceramique sp? And my temps went down 3C idle and 15c load. BUT!!!! When i overclocked the core to 350, My Idle temp went down 10c And Load temp went down 25c.

That's mighty strange man.. could be electrical reading errors or something?

Look at the Sticky up yonder about Unlocking and softmodding your 6800nu cards 4 dissabled pipes, and your shader. It Makes a world of difference if you can unlock them. You Use Riva tuner
I do have latest of Riva installed.. but not played with it yet.. im afraid of damaging my expensive video card.. about the pipes.. the previous owner of this card is a good overclocker.. he did admit that the 4 extra pipes couldnt be unlocked anymore..he can but it produces artifacts.. :(

hmm..

Last edited:
Try Unlocking just the pipes and keep the card At stock clocks. Keep the shader locked. This sometimes is the problem.

You do have the official WHQL driver. Same as mine. But my scores are Much above those you posted. Probably because of the unlocked pipes and shader. Do as i said, Try just unlocking the 4 pipes. It might work. Ive heard that Unlocking Pipes and shader produces Artifacts, But when the shader is dissabled The cards are Most times fine. That would be great if it works for you.

Theres another driver out 71.xx You can find it at dirverheaven Its optimized for 03 and 05 and a few other Things inbetween. In the release notes its Said to have MAJOR improvements in those areas.

Good luck

Harry

I would update driver for sure only because yours is out dated and the 03 score is a tad light..

I would update driver for sure only because yours is out dated and the 03 score is a tad light..

how can my driver be outdated? it's the latest download from nVidia's website.. *confused*

Goto www.evga.com and i think they might have a new one. Also go to www.guru3d.com and look under drivers. Theres a BUNCH of beta and non Windows WHQL certified drivers that address Problems That the driver your useing is causeing. Like low scores in 03 and 05.

THE DRIVER AT evga.com is a good driver. Its an official release, Just not windows certified. Drivers change so fast, They dont have time. At there page goto support, then to drivers, then Hit 6000 series family and get the 71.25 driver.

Id still like to know if i need to Uninstall my drivers like for an ATI to update them, or can i Install over the old driver? And should i use driver cleaner to delete old ones? And Should i Just leave rivatuner as is with clocks?

Harry

i see.. i will try that evga driver.. thanks!!

yeah i would like to know also if i can fire up installation of this driver right away or if i should go through the taskful process of uninstall and cleaning out of drivers.. :(

Wait you are corrrect you 66.93 are the latest I missed that Very sorry,,,There are alsi 71xx series out as someone may have posted ..I found FOR my system the 66.93 are the fastest by far..

To addres the question of cleaning out old drivers.
Unlike ATI drivers which tend to be real fast, they still have the tendacy to be real picky from one release to another. For a time I used ATI and found the drivers rock in some areas not others.
Now NVidia on the other hand... They are easy to migrate from one set to another. I would unistall using the destroyer, and get a fresh install going. On the other hand I have just installed a set over the top of a current one with no performance/technical issues. Getting one driver set, instead of the many needed with ATI will be alot easier to deal with. Plus overclocking is made simpler, and is a feature using the coolbit reg tweak. You can test to see if your setup will take an overlay of drivers, but have a copy of detinator destroyer somewere just in case. To me NVidia are the easiest drivers to deal with.

well, im sticking with my current nVidia drivers for now.. i tried following the 6800 unlocking guides and that was pretty easy with Riva!! I'm not really familiar with everythng right now, but there was 1 disabled pixel unit and another one vertex unit disabled.. i "enabled" them both... Pixel Unit 2 and vertex unit 3...

I overclocked also.. i got an awesome 11K ++ 3DMark03 score!! :D did i unlock the extra pipes? :) one thing though, i am getting major artifacts.. like the Garden thing in the 3dmark03 benchmark? the clouds where like flickering and pixelated... i disabled pixel unit 2 but kept the vertex unit enabled..

Try Unlocking the Pixel unit and lock the shader. Reason youd get flickering is That you have overclocked too much. Same happened to me. The performance i gained from Just Unlocking Both the pipes and the Shader More than made up for overclocking. I Got a Much better score With the card stock with pipes open than i did with them closed and the card overclocked.

I Have everything open now and Just a 25mhz overclock on the GPU, and everything is great. I Also Instaled the 71.25 driver over top of the 66.98? and My 3d marks went down a 100 marks or so, BUT I GAINED a TON In my games and they LOOK and PLAY FANTASTIC. Very happy with the 71.25 driver. Game performance is what its ALL About. WOOT!!

Harry

hmm. you do have a point.. lemme try unlocking everything agian and then testing it with STOCK clocks..

a quick question though.. since you suggested for me to unlock my pixel unit and close the vertext unit, does this mean, if i had to choose 1, pixel units are better unlocked over vertex?

Yes The Pipes are more important than ! Shader. So if you can get away with leaving the pipes open and closeing off the shader, your better off.

Post your findings.

Harry

Back