• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this work? (PICTURE)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think the wireing diagram is a little wrong. You need to have the center wire from the switch go to the rheostat, otherwise you will have a short and kill the powersupply. Have it just the way you have but have the pole from the 5 volt go to the rheostat and the pole from the 12v go to the fan directly. Again if you would like a drawing give me a pm and I will send it to your email.

Chad

Theres a sticky on building a fan controller for high power fans. You should read it too for ideas. It requires a few more parts but may give you a better design if you follow it.

I couldn't even figure out what you're trying to achieve with that. Flip that switch either way, your PSU goes bang. Maybe it won't go bang if you just plug it in with the switch in the middle, and your rheo set to max resistance, at least not immediately, but your rheo windings might start glowing a bit with current from the +5 to the +12V (you'll be putting 7v across it) and when you turn the rheo low it will go bang.

Hmmm after some pondering, I think you were trying to acheive a rheostated switchable 7-12V mod. Now, there's not a lot of point in having the switch to 7V unless you want more adjustment range, or you want to run more fans/Amps than the rheo will dissipate power for connected to 12v when adjusted to 7V.

I think you're wanting to wire it like this.....

Attachments

• 7Vplusrheo.bmp
    70.4 KB · Views: 122
Actually he was trying to achieve down to 3v using a rheostat and the 5v line. Just switch the 12v and 0v and that is what he wants.

Back