• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeckyl

Ok... SO my MSI Neo Platium mobo needed to be RMA'd and they finally sent me a new one after a month. I plugged everything in (had to force the 4 prong power connector a bit) and it wont boot up. The led lights on my fans flash for a seconed and then its dead. When I plug the d-bracket in, one light lights up which shows me there is power going to the board.

I bought Arctic 5 thermal gel, the only thing I am thinking is that I possibly did not apply enough? But regaurdless I can't get this thing to boot and my mind is a bit blown. I don't think it is the processor because when I removed the chip I was quite careful and placed it directly in an electrostatic bag. So I am outta ideas. Please please help.

specs on your system??and what was wrong with the old board,,same problem?

ETUKE said:
specs on your system??and what was wrong with the old board,,same problem?

Amd Ath64 3400+
1 gig corsair ram
Msi Neo Paltinum
80 gig HD

The problem last time was the usb ports were not working. Now the thing won't boot up but for a quick flash of my led fans when I hit the power button. Any ideas? I really doubt it is the chip

Do you have a floppy drive? If you do, disconnect it and try to boot. If you hook up a floppy power supply wrong, and it's easy to do by only catching 3 of the 4 pins, you get just the problem you've described.

try switching the ram to different slots,,,try with basic cards installed see if it boots.Check all you cables to be sure they are plugged in proper.

ETUKE said:
try switching the ram to different slots,,,try with basic cards installed see if it boots.Check all you cables to be sure they are plugged in proper.

done and done, I tried booting with just the processor and ram, and it won't do that either... Still not sure exactly what is going on, could it just be a fault motherboard?

Just to be sure ..do you have the cpu fan plugged into the proper header?

ETUKE said:
Just to be sure ..do you have the cpu fan plugged into the proper header?

hehe yeah I do, its hard to miss that one.. so do we think it is just a goner?

check the psu rail voltages too,and also check that 4 pin connector that you said was hard to push in.What psu you running?also make sure the clear cmos jumper is on the right 2 pins(you never know)

edit:did you make sure that the board isnt shorting out when you installed n the case?

edit#2:If you running a winnie then try just 1 stick of ram,,,have heard older bios cant recognize the winnies and they will boot with 1 stick(single channel).Not sure if it applies to the msi but the av8 and abits had this issue.

Last edited:
ETUKE said:
check the psu rail voltages too,and also check that 4 pin connector that you said was hard to push in.What psu you running?also make sure the clear cmos jumper is on the right 2 pins(you never know)

edit:did you make sure that the board isnt shorting out when you installed n the case?

edit#2:If you running a winnie then try just 1 stick of ram,,,have heard older bios cant recognize the winnies and they will boot with 1 stick(single channel).Not sure if it applies to the msi but the av8 and abits had this issue.

How do I know if the board is shorting when I installed it? I checked the cmos and that was fine, I am unsure of the psu brand, it was stock with the aspire case. and how to I check the rail voltage? Sorry I am kinda new to the whole building scene and am passed what I know now.

easiest way to check the board to see if its shorting is to run it outside the case,,,to check the rails for proper voltage you need a vom or digital volt reader.does you psu stay on when you turn on the mobo?

ETUKE said:
easiest way to check the board to see if its shorting is to run it outside the case,,,to check the rails for proper voltage you need a vom or digital volt reader.does you psu stay on when you turn on the mobo?

I don't think so, because there is no sound at all... but I am just puzzled because the psu was probably only running for a total of 7-14 days in its lifetime so how could it be gone already. I just feel like the only thing that changed was the motherboard, it was wrong then and wrong now... but I could be wrong...

sounds like you have a dead board,If its possible try the PSU in another comp.If it works then RMA the board.

ETUKE said:
sounds like you have a dead board,If its possible try the PSU in another comp.If it works then RMA the board.

will do man, thanks a bunch for your help... hehe bummer that it turned out to be all what we didn't want it to be... a dead board.. but such is life

i think that it was just simply a DDR issue, I had the same thing og on with my board. After I completed the RMA I figured it out.

Back