• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel w/ 3x512MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ïß®äHïM

Registered
Been wondering for a while now, why is it that on the boot up screen and on CPU-Z it shows that i'm running on dual channel when i have 3 sticks of 512MB RAMs?

I thought that dual channel can only be made use of when u have 2 sticks with the same capacity (eg. 2x512MB) or 3 sticks with an identical pair and the other having the same capacity as the 2 smaller ones combined (eg. 2x256MB + 1x512MB)

It's surely weird, as I thought DC is only possible with 2 or 4 sticks.... I don't think it's even possible for the 2x256 + 1x512 to work in DC (although in theory they couls I dont think any mobo supports this).

It could be a false reading of the mobo (and CPU-Z that just takes the info from bios anyway...).

My opinion is, just see the result and judge from it since after all it's all that matters anyway.... So run a benchmark that has to do with RAM (maybe not Sandra because it's a little weird sometimes, but a 3dmark01 would be sufficient) and write down the result. Then take 1 stick out of the machine, and run the same benchmark again...

In the second time you surely run in DC with 2x512. Then just compare the results.... As long as you use 3dmark01 the extra 512mb of capacity in the first run won't affect the results, and also make sure no timmings change between the 2 setups.

Just my 2 cents...

On my old rig (Athlon XP 2000+ 266mhz FSB, 3x256 PC 2100 CAS 2.5, Abit NF7-S) dual channel started to work once i put my third stick in, oddly. I figured out the arangement of sticks on my board can change dual channel on or off

Yes you are running DC, but on 2 sticks only.
with 3 inserted, 2 run at 128bit (dual channel) and 1 at 1/2 dc, 96bits :)
Its better performance than single channel, but not quite as good as full DC :)

With 3x512MB, my 3DMark01SE result is 15,017. Took out one stick, 2x512MB, and got 14,826.

Does this mean that Highlander is correct, with 2 sticks running DC, while the other one is 96-bit (or 64-bit) ?

OSFP said:

My opinion is, just see the result and judge from it since after all it's all that matters anyway.... So run a benchmark that has to do with RAM (maybe not Sandra because it's a little weird sometimes, but a 3dmark01 would be sufficient) and write down the result. Then take 1 stick out of the machine, and run the same benchmark again...

In the second time you surely run in DC with 2x512. Then just compare the results.... As long as you use 3dmark01 the extra 512mb of capacity in the first run won't affect the results, and also make sure no timmings change between the 2 setups.

Just my 2 cents...

ïß®äHïM said:
With 3x512MB, my 3DMark01SE result is 15,017. Took out one stick, 2x512MB, and got 14,826.

Does this mean that Highlander is correct, with 2 sticks running DC, while the other one is 96-bit (or 64-bit) ?

So, what does the decrease in 200 pts for 3DMark01 means..?

200 points is well with in the amrgin of error for 3dmark o1 for sure - i can get that differnce from rebooting.

Back