• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmm, I have an odd situation. 3 pumps in series.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
I have 3 Eheim 1250 pumps now, two Chevette heatercores, a Cascade, a Maze4 GPU block, and a low restriction NB block. None of this is currently in my computer, I'm just fiddling around with ideas on how to get the very best performance out of it all.

My original idea was to put all of it into one loop, 3 1250's adding up to be roughly 20' of head pushing through the 3 blocks and two radiators. What occured to me just a moment ago, is how might my temps be effected if I instead used one 1250 and one heatercore with the GPU and NB blocks, and then two 1250's and one heatercore with the Cascade.

The only reason I can think that the two loop idea would work less well than the single loop idea is that the GPU and NB blocks won't be introducing enough heat to warrent taking one of the heatercores from the Cascade loop.

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks guys.

Never really having thought about multiple pumps before (I go for overkill in different ways) the thought that occurs to me is this:

EFFICIENCY should be best with the highest temp differential, but that might not equate to the best temperatures.

I would think that the best temperature results would be with two separate loops and in fact I don't know if running two 1250s for the cpu would give better results than 1. The extra heat added by the second pump might be more than any benefit from the added flow/pressure.
I would have to try both, being the type that likes to test things out for myself. :)

Of course, I no longer have enough Eheim 1250s to try it since I have switched to my Taco circulation pump. ;)

Hey there, Mr. I've Got Enough Eheims To Watercool Half The Forums :D

I read a post by Cathar a few minutes ago stating that an Eheim 1250 adds 9W of heat to a loop. That's really not that bad as far as I know. Two 1250's on the Cascade would add 18W of heat--a lot now, but still possibly negligible since there is a lot more head (as you know, Cathar's blocks perform much better with lots more head). If I have all three Eheims at once in the loop, then that's 27W of heat, nothing to shake a stick at--BUT, there are the two heatercores, rather than one.

I would try out the possibilities myself, but I don't really have the tubing or cash to do a whole lot more than just set up the loop now (I think you guys can see why I'm broke ;))

If it were me, I'd would go with the two loops idea, I'd think you could fit it all intoa cheiftec mid tower fairly easily.

Excuse me while a laugh. A lot. ;) (no disrespect intended)

It took me quite a while to figure out how to get all this craziness into my Chieftec Mid Dragon, and it's not...beautiful, to say the least. Required a bit of pump modding.

Anyway though, getting everything in and working isn't the issue, it's the best performance for the Cascade. I'm leaning towards everything being in one loop, simply because splitting it into two loops would put more pump heat on the CPU loop and take away a large portion of the cooling ability (the second rad).

3 1250's in series would not be ideal. Let's assume each one will dump 20W into the loop, that is 60W for 20' of max head. 2 D4's would be 20' of head, each only dumping 16W each for 32W. I realize you already have the 1250's, but perhaps think of selling them and get 2 D4's or 50Z's or something. I would do one loop for sure, but that is just me.

nikhsub1 said:
3 1250's in series would not be ideal. Let's assume each one will dump 20W into the loop, that is 60W for 20' of max head. 2 D4's would be 20' of head, each only dumping 16W each for 32W. I realize you already have the 1250's, but perhaps think of selling them and get 2 D4's or 50Z's or something. I would do one loop for sure, but that is just me.

nik has done a lot more messing around with configurations like that than I have, so I would take his advice if it were my project.

Well, ok, I'll admit it: if it were me I would try both but I would expect nikhsub to be right. :D

Off to sell the 1250's I doth go. Thanks guys.

Back