• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can 1/2" ID tube be stretched over a 3/8" barb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Were you asking the opposite then or do you want to get 1/2" tubing over 3/8" barbs?

yes, i'm considering using 1/2" tubing on a ddc 3/8" barbs (no stretching required, heh) and also the same tubing on an un modded heatercore 5/8" barbs (some stretching required)

Yeah, you can boil the end of the tubing to get it to stretch over 5/8"

With the DDC you can put a piece of 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD over the barbs. Then the 1/2" ID tubing will fit over it snugly. As for the 5/8" fitting, if your tubing is soft, and strechy you should be able to stretch it over. Boiling water helps.

ZachM said:
With the DDC you can put a piece of 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD over the barbs. Then the 1/2" ID tubing will fit over it snugly. As for the 5/8" fitting, if your tubing is soft, and strechy you should be able to stretch it over. Boiling water helps.

I've tried using this method as my quick disconnect fittings for my external setup only have 3/8" barbs...they leaked no matter what I did...a variety of barbs often pushed the 1/2 ID tubing off the barbs, further down the 1/2 OD tubing.

It took me a good deal of pushing and cursing but I finally managed to stretch my 3/8" tube over the 1/2" intake barb on my eheim.

BTW I found that putting just a little rubbing alcohol on the inside of the tubing and around the fitting really helps lubricate it a lot.

Back