• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI x850 XT Platinum Edition OR NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
6800Gt for sure, the x850 is just ... a huge rip off ... they only oced a x800xt and priced it $200 more. IMO, get the 6800gt and oc it to ultra freq. You will perform nearly the same as a x850 in some games, but your esentially paying $50 per fps faster than a 6800 -_-.

[sarcasm]isn't the 6800gt half the price of the x850 xt pe?[/sarcasm] i don't even think you should decide between these two. i would go with 6800gt. it would take forever to get the x850

The X850XT can be overclocked just like the 6800GT can be. But the X850XT is very overpriced. However most X850XT's being sold right now are for PCI-e. If your motherboard doesent support that then you either have to get a new MB or chose the 6800GT

ATI for sure. I own both high end cards (although not pci-e) and i can honestly say the ATI is better. Just my opinion though.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
6800Gt for sure, the x850 is just ... a huge rip off ... they only oced a x800xt and priced it $200 more. IMO, get the 6800gt and oc it to ultra freq. You will perform nearly the same as a x850 in some games, but your esentially paying $50 per fps faster than a 6800 -_-.

i dunno whats going on with usa prices then, cos over here the x850xt costs the SAME if not slightly less than the x800xt, and the x850xtpe is cheaper than an agp x800xtpe..... and all are widely available.
In stores here a 6800gt is practically the same price as an x850xt (maybe £20 difference at most)...and the x850 smokes the nvidia...

Vrykyl said:
In stores here a 6800gt is practically the same price as an x850xt (maybe £20 difference at most)...and the x850 smokes the nvidia...
i'm afriad to see the price of the 6800 ultra then...

In Canada the x850xt (non pe) is the same price as the 6800gt pci-e also, if they are close to the same price its a no brainer to get the x850xt but if the 6800gt is cheaper by alot go for that.

If you are getting a pci-e card, grab the 6800GT. Then down the road, you have one of two cards needed for SLI if you go that route. If AGP, I would buy a standard X800XT if it were me. The X850s just cost so much more for not much more bang.

AC

Jay23 said:
Stockhatch:

as far as I know.. ATI is also making their own type of SLI. so down the road he'll probably be able to have two 850xtpe's... :)

but the problem is that the current ATI cards may not support "ATI's SLI" when that technology is available. So, I won't recomment getting ATI now if he wants to run dual vid cards later.

Its odd, but I always thought overclockers were more budget conscious, at least it was that way back when I had my PIII 550e overclocked to 1G. Sudre, I could have got a faster cpu, but I was getting alot for free this way. The x850xt your paying and your increases will be minimal at best. I would go GT and try for above ultra speeds but thats just me. I have actually sold off all my high end cards for lower end ones that I can overclock and still play my games. A 6800NU with open pixel and vertex pipes for the price was a super deal to me, and I'll have funds for the next super deal when it comes around. Maybe a modable x800pro a bit down the line.

i just switched from 6800 Ltd.Ed. 460/1.15 to a x850xtpe 600/625 cause i got the upgrade itch, im very glad i switched back to ati, all my 3dmarks went up, and since im a cs:s freak vst is the most important atm,, it went from 91fps with the 6800 to 118fps with x850, now is the difference in money worth it? depends on the person

If you are cheap or on a budget, I'd get the 6800gt. As a matter of fact, I felt the upgrade itch and snagged a new PNY 6800GT for $330 just the other day. Stock cooling and no mods does 425/1200. Can't complain about the performance and saved around $125 over a x800XT or X850XT. Now, if I had the funds....I may have gone with the ATI card since I typically like their products better overall.

Back