• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600GT Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atigamerguy

Ok I finally did the BIOS mod on my 6600GT to enable the temp on the nvidia control panel. My temps are 50C idle and 82C on load is this average for a 6600GT or is my card overheating??

I mean if people here saw these emps on their cpu they would pee in their pants. So do these cores have better heat tolerance that cpu cores?

The GPU on my 6600GT gets 50° idle and goes to around 80° under a load. That load is varied per the game I am using and ambient. For your clocks you seem to be within range.

I think the GPU can stand a bit more than a CPU. It starts downclocking @145°C. If my memory serves me right, a 6600GT can operate nicely upwards of 100°C.

the hotest i have ever seen mine was 67*C after one hell of a bench marking sesion.. lol

Was the 67° overclocked, or stock? My card is 580/1.12 getting these temps.

over clocked at 600/1.2 and now i think i found its sweet spot 585/1.2 and now it will never got over 57-58*C soo its all good for me.. i am also useing 67.66 drivers i will get 8.6k in 3d03 and 3.6k on 3d05 and that is better than my cpu at 2.4 and my card at 600/1.2

atigamerguy said:
I mean if people here saw these emps on their cpu they would pee in their pants. So do these cores have better heat tolerance that cpu cores?

Yep, I don't care what the manufacturers say. I'm thinking those high temps will last the card just long enough for warranty to expire.

wat doesnt make sense is, my 6800GT doesnt even run that hot. overclocked as well. highest i have seen it is 67. idle 51.

That is normal for me too. Sometimes it goes somewhat higher. Plus heatsink is another factor. BFG had a better heatsink than most makers. My card has an all copper sink but is dink with no RAM cooling. The 6800GT has more bells and whistles.
The 6600GT runs about 500/1000 stock usually.

On an XFX 6600GT AGP I'm getting 36C Idle and 58C Load with a >30C ambient temperature with the IceStorm cooler attached. Not bad considering the heatsink is cooling both the GPU and all 4 GDDR3 modules. :clap:
(Clock Speeds @ 600/1200)

The idle temps of my XFX 6600 GT was 54c - so I pulled both heat sinks off, scraped the crappy paste off (if you can call it paste) and applied AS5 before putting it all together again. Now my idle temps are 44c - 10c lower just from AS5.

Mine idles at about 39 and at load reaches 64 on a Zalman. However I wonder how many of these stock cooling numbers I've been seeing are really acurate. It's known that these Gpu's cool quickly and unless you are running 3dc or similar next to a temp monitor you may be suprised what your load temps really are.

Sure but when you hear temps like 53c on stock cooling with a 10% or greater overclock I makes me wonder if thats after exiting HL2 and bringing up the temp menu. If that takes 2 seconds the temp could be off by as much as 20 degrees. Would be ashame to burn up a card thinkin it was chillin.

True, but most of the experienced clockers here know how to get mostly accurate readings. We usually go for load over idle. As you delve into more of the archives for info you will see this. Hopefully you might pick up a few tricks and share a few. Also......

Welcome to the Forums

f1lam3nt said:
Sure but when you hear temps like 53c on stock cooling with a 10% or greater overclock I makes me wonder if thats after exiting HL2 and bringing up the temp menu. If that takes 2 seconds the temp could be off by as much as 20 degrees. Would be ashame to burn up a card thinkin it was chillin.

It doesn't make me wonder. I'm positive that that's what they're doing. Either that, or they live in Alaska, Canada, or Siberia, and they have their windows open.

This little screensaver is my fun way to basically check my loads and for artifacts. I make sure I have the thing at a higher res than I normally run. I vary on the actual load temps but it gives me a good idea if I need to back off the card clocks for a full blown game.
I average 200+ FPS usually, depending on the fish I choose and the size of the window. This gives me a near realtime idea of how my card is doing in a 3D enviroment w/ higher frame rates.
fish9nd.jpg

I have dual Leadtek 6600 GT TDH's and they idle 34~35c and 50~51c under a load. I have a fan on the side panel right over these cards.

Back