• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can certain refresh rates bother your eyes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I just switched from an LCD to a CRT (supports resolutions i want to use) however it seems funny to stare at. are my eyes just playing tricks on me? can a CRT bother your eyes? (set at 60 or 70Hz right now)

Yeah, if you're used to an LCD or high refresh rates, you'll see flickering at anything below usually. However, a couple of years ago, I used nothing but 60Hz and got used to it for a while...not good on the eyes though.

I gotta have at least 75hz or otherwise ill get a headache. I've notice i can see the flickering which bothers my eyes, then you can hear the hertz so it gives me a headache. I used to notice that quite a bit in Need For Speed Underground 1 - you had to voice it to run above 60hz on 640x480. I prefer 85hz or above on 1280x1024

I don't run any games above 1600x1200 simply because its very hard for me to drop the hz below 100, even at 85hz my spoiled eyes see flickering. Btw, a good trick to finding out the refresh rate on a monitor is to look at it out of the corner of your eye. I don't know if your eye just doesn't motion blur the sides or what, but you can actualy see the screen flickering on and off in the corner of your eye.

ive been looking at 60hz for the past... 8 years at least, and my eyes still see perfectly ( I can see things better then most people who dont wear glasses as-well)... so I don't know :S

I can see the low refresh rates, but it doesn't bother me at all. I really don't know how it could give someone a headache.

Yuriman said:
I don't run any games above 1600x1200 simply because its very hard for me to drop the hz below 100, even at 85hz my spoiled eyes see flickering. Btw, a good trick to finding out the refresh rate on a monitor is to look at it out of the corner of your eye. I don't know if your eye just doesn't motion blur the sides or what, but you can actualy see the screen flickering on and off in the corner of your eye.

huh, i'll give that a try. I don't see how, but my eyes just feel more strained. the monitor is an inch or two smaller, but i don't think that would explain it. the only other thing i had changed was dropping the refresh rate, so i figured something was up.

Back