• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adjusting pots in Fortron BlueStorm 500W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiljaden5

I need to find a detailed how to guide on this, I read that someone wrote one up here but I can't find it.

I know where to look for the pots but I need to know which one does what and where to measure to make sure I'm adjusting right.

I've never adjusted pots in a PSU so I could use all the help I can get

i figured out how to take measurements and turn the PSU on while it isn't inside the case or connected to anything..

now I only need to figure out which pot adjusts which voltage

just turned one of the pots up measure each of the rails to see which one it corresponds to, measure the voltage from the 20/24 pin connector or molex and aux plugs

I was looking for the same info because ax-500 is giving me 4.95 idle and 4.60 load on the 5v+ using a dmm on the molex then I found this review: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=277&p=3

Before reading this review I opened the psu and I didn't saw any pots...

My system shuts down when playing games and it is just slightly oced.

A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
Barton 3000+ @1.75v
Mushkin Special 222 dual @1.8v
6 case fans 5.4w, 0.45 amps each at max speed
92mm cpu fan 12.50w, 1.04 Amp
Radeon 9800pro with arctic vga silencer @ 1.5v (default) agp
1 seagate sata
Optical mouse, keyboard, wireless pci card....

All fans are connected to a sunbeam rehobus, cpu fan in channel 1 then 2 case fans per remaining channel. I used a dedicated lead from the ax-500 for this controller.

I drained all the psu's power with this setup?

JW said:
I was looking for the same info because ax-500 is giving me 4.95 idle and 4.60 load on the 5v+ using a dmm on the molex then I found this review: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=277&p=3

Before reading this review I opened the psu and I didn't saw any pots...

My system shuts down when playing games and it is just slightly oced.

A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
Barton 3000+ @1.75v
Mushkin Special 222 dual @1.8v
6 case fans 5.4w, 0.45 amps each at max speed
92mm cpu fan 12.50w, 1.04 Amp
Radeon 9800pro with arctic vga silencer @ 1.5v (default) agp
1 seagate sata
Optical mouse, keyboard, wireless pci card....

All fans are connected to a sunbeam rehobus, cpu fan in channel 1 then 2 case fans per remaining channel. I used a dedicated lead from the ax-500 for this controller.

I drained all the psu's power with this setup?

I hate to say it, but I think your board is overdrawing the AX500-A... it's designed for a heavy 12v load, and your board is 5v oriented (I think - correct me if I'm wrong). Since the CPU is pulling from a 5v rail that is anemic by design in this unit, it's having trouble. If you have the money, I'd suggest putting this one into storage for future uses and getting the older 400w with 120mm fan - FSP400-60PN, or the 530w.

Damn...but wait!

I tested the psu via jumper without anything conected and the 5v was 4.95 and the 12v was around 11.90.

Is that normal?

i just bought a bluestorm 500w, and i'll like to adjust the pot as well. right now the 5v is floating around 4.9 and 12v is floating @ 11.8 idle and 11.73v under load on my nf7-s.

before i adjust my pot, i have a basic question regarding measuring voltage on molex. i have never done this before so i want to make sure i don't screw up my system. i know you have to turn on the computer to measure the voltage on the molex, now, after measuring the volt, can you remove the measuring stick from the molex with computer still on? i remember before i unplug one of the drive while the computer is on, it either turn off or restarted the computer. so i just wanna make sure if this will happen when i removed the measuring stick?

JW said:
Damn...but wait!

I tested the psu via jumper without anything conected and the 5v was 4.95 and the 12v was around 11.90.

Is that normal?

A wee bit low, but well within specs.

homer77 said:
can you remove the measuring stick from the molex with computer still on?

Yep, but be careful not to short anything during the unplugging by accident. Take your time :)

Back