• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

got me a new toy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

Today, my MSI matx ATI chipset board arrived. Tomorrow my winny3200 will arrive. I know this should be in MSI boards however in this thread, I'm going to drop some real world tests with this board vs the Asus k8n SLI board as a reference for the ATI vs NF4SLI chipset. I know there's benches out there but I don't trust any real benchmark sites 'sept HardOCP and AnAndtech.

In both systems, I'm going to use a winny3200, 2x512mb Mushkin pc3500 dual channel 2-2-2-5 @ 200mhz, xfx 6600gt @ stock, wd1000 pata hard drive, audigy 2 non-zs, and factory-defualt-optomized bios settings.

The tests will run something along the lines of this:
CSS/HL2
D3
UT2k4 (If I can find the cds)
Farcry

3d01
3d03
Aquamark
Sandra mem/cpu arith and multimedia

The hard drive will be formatted, defraged, chipset drivers, defrag, video drivers, defrag, sound drivers, degrag.

Each test will be run three times with a restart inbetween and I will report each result. After a benchmark is done, the next program will be installed on top of it. I am doing this so that it simulates more of a normal use, eg not a fresh install each time you want to play a game.

I hope to start showing results in the next couple of days.

Well I got the board for $93 through my distributer for the company I work for. It has onboard video, svideo, composite video, and digital audio out but since it's still the AC97 codec, a real soundcard should be used.

My initial impressions on it.... both bridge chips run extremely hot. A sink on the southbridge should be manditory as well as a fan near the northbridge. While setting up, the computer restarted randomly on be but I think that's because the wd1000 might be bad. It made a nice clunk noise each time before it restarted. I got to installing 03 and it wouldn't run 03 and 01 crashed on game 3 high detail.

I will try again when my 74gb arrives.

Back