• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pci-e ready and sli ready?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
welll PCI-E should not be in this section, anyway it is just a new slot just like PCI AGP just alot faster it is used for VC cards only and it alot alot faster than AGP that pretty much covers it but if u want to learn more look through the forums more =)

errr.. if u think about what the first post is and were he posted.. you can understand what hes asking befor typin

what he is asking is on psus, what does pci-e ready mean.. right?

well the new videocards for pci-e use a 6 pin plug, unlike a molex.

So do you have to get a pci-e ready psu to have a pci-e motherboard and card?

Maybe an example pic of the connector and where it goes?

Jacobman said:
So do you have to get a pci-e ready psu to have a pci-e motherboard and card?

Nope, but you'll need an adaptor for the card connector and a PSU that can handle the load it's being asked to run. Most ATX 2.0 or EPS compliant units shouldn't have any trouble being already designed for the 12v load needed for such PCI-E cards. Many good single 12v rail designs good for an honest 24A @ 12v or better should also be able to handle it. Some older units may need a 20 pin to 24 pin ATX connector adaptor.

In the not too distant future I plan on making my Fortron 530w take on such duties and see how accurate that 28A peak rating really is ;)

The PCI-E connector itself IIRC is a 6 pin Molex affair.

Will all of the OCZ psus at least 500watts come with a pci-e connector. Because i think i might go with one of those ocz's instead of the fortron. Arent they better regularly?

i am going to be getting the 520 watt of ocz powerstream.. its really good, has the pci-e conneterd stright from the psu (no crappy molex xfer thing) + 520 watts afaik is at normal running temps.. with a 600 watt peak

Back