• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping with 10 micon paper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerXLT8

Wow I had previously lapped my 2.8E Prescott with 330 grain followed by 600 grain. I saw on this forum a person had bought a lapping kit from www.easypckits.com so I went a checked it out. I started off with the 800 grain paper, then went to 40micron followed by 15micron and then finally 10 micron and my cpu is like a mirror finish.. this sucker is FLAT. I've noticed only a 2c drop in load temp but the Arctic Silver 5 has not set in yet.

I'm using the Zalman 7700AlCu and it came with an excellent lap job already but I did go over it with the 40 micron paper.

Your lap went better than mine! I tried to lap a stock AMD HSF and it actually increased my temps! I didn't fully understand it all, and lapped it wrong. Lucky for me that was a back-up cooler.

Radical said:
What does 10 micron paper feel like? It must feel like normal printer paper!

You really can't compare it to printer paper. Imagine chalk dust on a piece of paper, that's how I think it feels.

Mmmm...Lap Job :p
Sounds dirty. I digress...anyhow, to get a really true finish you want to make sure you lap the heatsink base on a truly flat surface, like a precision granite slab, or glass if you don't have access to such a surface. The finish left by a fly cutting bit on a mill or CNC machine is pretty good, but no where near micron smooth. :bang head

After about 600 or 800 you start to hit diminishing returns...even Swiftech mentions that on their site, that the shiney finish is largely cosmetic. Swiftech > some guy trying to take your money by selling you sandpaper you don't need.

Yeah, but once you hit diminishing returns the difference in CPU temperature is reduced to within testing percent error, probably 1-2 degrees C. Those little diodes aren't the most accurate temperature sensors ever you know.

I know it's cool to have a mirror finish, but it's really a waste after 600 or 800 grit. Unless maybe you're going for a TIMless setup...which is stupid, but maybe you could try for kicks. I just think it's silly some people are like, "omg, I gotta get this uberfine sandpaper so I can overclock more!"

Emon said:
I just think it's silly some people are like, "omg, I gotta get this uberfine sandpaper so I can overclock more!"

uh...you DO realize you are on the OVERCLOCKERS.COM forums...right?

as 9mm said, when an overclocker hears the words " diminishing returns " we don't even hear the word " diminishing " we only hear the word " returns "

and when overclocking, 1c is still 1c cooler. , 1 Mhz is still 1Mhz faster.

SewerBeing said:
@Emon: if you have ever taken 800grit sandpaper and compared it to 1.5k grit you will see and feel the difference. There are returns after 800grit that is all that matters.

I want to see pics of this
Pictures of a lapping job prove nothing.

yes, we still want pictures.

2 things people on this site want.

A high overclock
and Pictures of other people's work.

Back