• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neo2 3200+ oc max 218x10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Altair

I have been trying to oc the NEO2 board with the 3200+ 90nm. Despite lot of god ideas from the threads here nothing works. I can’t pass by FSB 218 x 10. The computer boots in “safe mode” and I must return to the setup to change back. No voltage increase help. Idle core temp is only 43C at 2180MHz
-DimondmaxIII 250MB on SATA3
-6800GT
-2x512 Samsung pc3200 400Mhz Slot 1&2
-antec 380w power supply
The NEO2 manual states that the CPU/FSB ratio is x4-x20 but the max in my bios is x10!! I flashed the bios to v 1.4 ... the problem remains. Ideas?

The board supports a maximum multiplier of x20, but you can't select a multiplier higher than the one used by the CPU - all Athlon64's other than the FX's are multiplier locked upwards. You can select lower ratio's though, so you can use higher FSB's.

It would help our analysis if you gave us your memory timings and cell menu options - most of the time, its simply because you've not configured it correctly.

Are you remembering to set HTT to 4x for anything over 200Mhz FSB? Are you leaving your memory timings and voltage on 'Auto' ?

Ok, HTT x4 helped from 2180 to 2250
If I set the MaxMemclock to 166 I can get to 2300 but prime95 finds an error
Timing & CAS set to Auto CPU voltage don't seem to help, which is understandeble because even with havy load it just reaches 50C

put cpu vid to 1.475 and the cpu voltage to +3.3%
that might help ur temps a bit i think
i idle around like 41, and dun get higher than 48 that ive seen

I check the temp using MBMonitor... hope it can be trusted, I never get over 50 even after 1 hour of prim95...

After a bit of research and many many crashes...
Most stabel, prim95 one hour and no error:225x10, max freq: 200, 4xHTT, 2T
With prime95 error but still ok: 240x10, max freq:166, 4xHTT, 1T
Crashes after windos loaded: 250x10, max freq 166, 4xHTT, 1T
Default voltages... I saw no improve when incresing from default to 1.55

I did try 9x 280 3xHTT..... crashed so I had to clear the bios. Same when I reduced the max freq to 133. After those crashes the BIOS crashes everytime I want to access the HTT meny.... very strange.. I reflash the bios with the same version and the problem remains.. I can still change the value with + and - but I wonder if I shold give up and enjoy my new computer as it is before I distroy the CPU&MB completely....
Anyway.. I still don't understand what the problem is, the memory is supposed to handel 400MHz and the cpu never goes over 50C with havy load, and stays at33-35C when idel even at 2500MHz... IF MBmonitor is to be trusted, and I wonder that cause it reports the case temp to 6-7C

well, with pc 3200, u dun want the mem fsb to go over 220 in the bios, cuz its 220 x 2 which comes to 440, mines at 210 rite now, and my clock is 2.5 ghz on my cpu, and most software, for sum reason on the neo2, reports temps about 8-10 C lower than the actual, so use bios, and then hmmmmm i dun run prime, i did it once, and my comp froze like 2 mins after i started, tho i dun care bout that cuz my comp runs fast as sh**

Altair said:
IAfter those crashes the BIOS crashes everytime I want to access the HTT meny.... very strange.. I reflash the bios with the same version and the problem remains.. I can still change the value with + and -

This is pretty normal...mine was OK up until about an hour ago when my PSU crapped out on me and caused a major system crash while benching...now all I can use is the +/- to change the HTT multiplier...been reading about this issue for a few months now with the NEO2's...

I wouldnt really worry too much about it...just remember not to hit enter at the HTT multiplier option ;)...

And when trying like 280 or so...what timings and voltage are you running the memory...

ya, when i flash my bios, i have to use the +/- first, but once i get it on 5x or wutever, i can hit enter and change it in the actual menu, cuz u gotta hit + a few times before it even gets to 1x from startup

trance said:
ya, when i flash my bios, i have to use the +/- first, but once i get it on 5x or wutever, i can hit enter and change it in the actual menu, cuz u gotta hit + a few times before it even gets to 1x from startup

Thanks for the info...went back and reset to optimized setting and then maunally adjusted everything including the HTT multiplier hitting enter first...

Update:
250x10 stable (not with prime95 though)
1.5V 3.3%
Max Mem 166
The rest is stock.

I tried 260x10 but it wont boot, and got to clear bios.

Is there a way to tweek the mem timing to reach 2.6Ghz? or at least 2.5 prime95 proof. I'm just a beginner at this, my last oc was a celeron 300A to 450... somebody remember that :)

Well, not knowing, I used the "auto", which I don't know what it is.

This could be the reason why...auto sets the memory to the memorys default timings...which is probably too tight for 260...try loosing your timmings manually and see how stable they are then...

I don't know how too loose them as I don't know the default value. Do you have a good config? So right now in the BIOS order:
166 - 1T - auto - auto - auto - auto

You have to go to the memory section in the BIOS...set the memory's tras, trp and trcd and the cas...useing either the enter or +/- keys to change the settings...

a good starting setting would be

166 - 1T - 11 - 4 - 4 - 3 with 2.8v...if it boots up and runs stable...then slowly work yuor way down until it is unstable...then reset the timings to the last known stable settings...

i thought smaller numbers was better.... i have 2-3-3-7, would that be good or bad? i cant run prime or anything like that, cuz i cant find em for linux

trance said:
i thought smaller numbers was better.... i have 2-3-3-7, would that be good or bad? i cant run prime or anything like that, cuz i cant find em for linux

It is...this is why I stated... ;)...

glock19owner said:
166 - 1T - 11 - 4 - 4 - 3 with 2.8v...if it boots up and runs stable...then slowly work your way down until it is unstable...then reset the timings to the last known stable settings...

And yes...7-3-3-2 is pretty decent...

ok , so should i make bigger numbers? lol, cuz some other forums were talking about how the lower the numbers the faster the ram works, about ... 3 weeks ago

Ok so lower nubers are better.
I did try 166 - 2T - 11 - 4 - 4 - 3 @ 2.8v and 10x260 with no success so I thougt maybe I shouldn't be so greedy 250x10 worked fine with default values.... Does somebody know that? or it depends on the memory (I got Samsung 400MWz pc3200).

Anywho, I got major problems with 3D games. Even with default values CPU&RAM values. All games and 3DMark freezes once every minute for 3-4s.... My graphic card is a Galaxy 6800GT.... Does not seem to be termal problem right beore the freez gpu is 63C and CPU 53C... It helps (a littel) to open the case or to lower the GPU from the default 370. At 250 it works without problems... Can it be a tension problem? my PSU got 380W CPU takes about 100 when on load... No idea about the GPU

If you are able to run Prime stable then it sounds like a video card issue. Have you disabled Sideband Addressing, Fastwrites, and NV/ATI Speedup in bios?

Back