• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FTP install with raid 0 and mobile barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saruji

I want to install a fresh copy of linux onto my new system

system:
mobile barton 2500
with 2, 120 gig IDE HD's running on raid 0
Abit nf7-s mobo
the rest of the system I dont think is relative, please correct me if i'm wrong. I want to install Suse 9.1 using the FTP option, I've downloaded the boot file and I can burn it onto a cd, but how do I get suse to

1)Recognize my hd's which are running on raid (dont I have to load raid drivers first? If so, how do i do that before ftp install?)

2)Will there be any issues with linux recognizing a mobile processor?

3)How do I get FTP install version of Suse, recognize my NIC and internet connection, so that it could connect up to the server to dl the os?

4)Also, if anybody know, how effective has overclocking been under linux? Are there any advantages to linux over windows for OC? I should mention that I'm not switching to linux because I think it might help me overclock better, I was just curious, curious because I am planning on overclocking and would like to know what i'm getting into, but not going to stop switching over if I cant overclock period.

Thank you,
Saruji

1) I don't have any experience installing on a raid array, but I know that whether you can depends on the installer. If nothing else, you can install to a single drive and do the raid stuff later.

2) Nope, although I'm not sure what you mean by "recognize." You'll be able to find stuff about your cpu out from /proc/cpuinfo, but using power management features, while possible, depends on other factors. At any rate, you'll definitely be able to use the CPU.

3) The CD should take care of that stuff automatically. Network install CDs aren't uncommon for Linux, and you shouldn't have any issues with normal hardware. I seem to remember that SUSE deals well with n-forks boards, but I don't have any experience with them.

4) I've seen people say both that it's easier to overclock under Linux and that it's more sensitive. I compile stuff often, and my distro (Gentoo) and installation seems to be pretty sensitive to it, so I've been living at stock.

BTW, where did that avatar come from? It looks quite funny. I'm glad my floppy isn't that big.

Saruji said:
I want to install a fresh copy of linux onto my new system

system:
mobile barton 2500
with 2, 120 gig IDE HD's running on raid 0
Abit nf7-s mobo
the rest of the system I dont think is relative, please correct me if i'm wrong. I want to install Suse 9.1 using the FTP option, I've downloaded the boot file and I can burn it onto a cd, but how do I get suse to

1)Recognize my hd's which are running on raid (dont I have to load raid drivers first? If so, how do i do that before ftp install?)

2)Will there be any issues with linux recognizing a mobile processor?

3)How do I get FTP install version of Suse, recognize my NIC and internet connection, so that it could connect up to the server to dl the os?

4)Also, if anybody know, how effective has overclocking been under linux? Are there any advantages to linux over windows for OC? I should mention that I'm not switching to linux because I think it might help me overclock better, I was just curious, curious because I am planning on overclocking and would like to know what i'm getting into, but not going to stop switching over if I cant overclock period.

Thank you,
Saruji

a double post?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=368388

Back