• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In a word, NO.

I hope that I figure something out soon, because right now I am a little bit pis*ed that I wasted all this time and money setting up a water cooling system.

My freaking temperatures were better with an SK6 and Sunon fan!!!

What the F*CK????

Everybody is always ranting about how good watercooling is... There must be some kind of secret that I'm missing, because 49c max temp is ridiculous. I got 46c max temp with air cooling. I am pis*ed right now.

The hoses, the water, the connections, mounting the waterblock, modifying your case, etc. etc. etc. It all adds up to a major pain in the *** if you ask me.

My advice is buy an SK6 with a good fan and design your case with good air flow. A lot less hassle and very good temps.

Last edited:
in another word: YES,
it really depends on the setup you are running and what your want to do with it, the best thing about water cooling it that you can customise whatever you want, with air cooling you can change the fan and er.. if you do plan on water cooling, read alot before you do it, you will the have to decide wherther to buy the parts or make them, i have done both, some watercooing setups dont cost much if you make the bits or buy other things like car radiators, mine has only cost $15

well, i suppose if you have a pump, waterblock, and radiator just sitting around then the system may cost you $15 bucks.

otherwise,

a pump will cost about $20 for a good one
a waterblock will cost about $40 for a good one

that's $60 bucks right off the bat.

then you have to find OR buy a radiator, hoses, clamps, resorvoir, fans, etc. etc. etc.

you can do without some things, but don't believe the hype about setting up a system for $15.

i just switched to watercooling myself. my temps didnt change at first, this was due to the pump heating the tank so i picked up a unit thats used for dipensing bottled water and dropped my pump into it. temps dropped 10c :D

mad_capr: sorry to here of such bad luck, and it seems really odd that it isnt working very well.

in my case, water cooling was definately worth it. i was using a stock athlon hsf when i first bought my duron, and at 1.85v my temps were in the high 50s/low 60s at idle....which was just horrible. after i got my watercooling set up, and even using 2.03v im getting a temp that never rises over 40c..

the best part is my entire water cooling setup, although somewhat crude, only cost me $50CDN. i crafted the waterblock myself(visit http://www.geocities.com/biztyke1/block.html for pics) with an old s7 hs and a pvc cap, the tubing and materials cost me $10, the radiator is an old heater core that i got for $15 and the pump cost me $20(danner). for the resevior im using a sealed electrical box...works great.

i personally will never go back to air cooling.

ps...in those pics i was using a transmission cooler, but it wasnt mine. i bought the heater core, and temperature wasnt affected. i have also since moved to a 24" case....so ive got plenty of room for the resevior and stuff.

Last edited:
My 1.4 TBird is watercooled with a maze2 waterblock, aqual coil radiator and a duel pump from CPUFX. My cpu stays at 19 degrees cels all the time whether under full load or not. Helps to have the air conditioner on. L0L!!!

Back