• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blown Fuse at Berkeley Kills Classic Daily Stats Once Again!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyHook

Senior Village Idiot
Today's "blown Fuse" debacle has once again made today's Classic Daily Stats a pipedream for the unforeseeable future. If and when they allow me to collect the necessary data, I will post updated stats.

Respectfully,
SkyHook

I suggest that we take up a collection and send the poor berkely folks all the rabbit's feet, lucky charms and anything we can think of. Those people need them

update.........

triple the shipment of rabbit's feet to send them :(

the power outage screwed up the brand new DB server so they have to dump the replica to the production machine. the project will be down until at least until the morning.

Everyone cross ur fingers that they don't have any data loss :bang head

Screw the rabbits feet ... can we send them to a school that will teach them how to administrate a server? christ this is incompetance at its worst.

ewl2 said:
update.........

triple the shipment of rabbit's feet to send them :(

the power outage screwed up the brand new DB server so they have to dump the replica to the production machine. the project will be down until at least until the morning.

Everyone cross ur fingers that they don't have any data loss :bang head

Sheesh, i bet the secret stash of liquor at the lab is long gone by now...I can't believe the string of luck they've been having.

Well, I suppose a power failure could be excused. Then again, why don't they have back up generators to keep things running when the power goes out? :eh?:

Maybe I shouldn't talk as I don't have a generator for when my power goes out either... :sn:

You don't?

Yea I'm a nerd and have a backup UPS, and all my primary machines and servers are teathered to the UPS so when the power goes out it shuts the machines down properly.

Last edited:
Court brought in a UPS from his personal server collection. So the master database will be protected while we scramble to purchase another.

How stupid can you be?

That master database server was prob ~10-30 thousand dollars server and they dont have a simple backup with a shutdown service running??? :bang head

OMG..... that just pure stupidity....

On my POS computers I have 2 Belkin 1500(vma/ma or whatever) ups in a chain and then a cheap 500ma one for my CRT.....

I hope someone at Berkeley is writing letters to BELKIN and APC asking them if they'd like to sponsor SETI and BOINC and send them a UPS.

My Official Disclaimer!

I hereby state that the accuracy of tonight's Classic Daily Stats Report, is in serious trouble. I have absolutely NO FAITH in the data I was able to retrieve from Berkeley, but it's the only data available. I have always prided myself on the accuracy and consistance of my Daily Stats, but that is no longer the case.

The numbers are posted, you've been warned, take them for what they're worth. I'm Sorry!

SkyHook

Ups?

Heck, I have a spare APC Smart-UPS 1250 I'm not using. Just needs new batteries ($93). I got 2 of them for free off of a defunct dot com biz. The other I fixed and it backs up my servers at home. They can have it if they wanna pay for the shipping. It's even a rackmount model.

-Horribleron

While all the trouble is bothersome we must not forget that this is all being done through scholastic and volunteer effort. Its easy to point fingers and say how we'd all do it differently, but wait, no-one ever did do this. :) I know we all hope lessons are being learned but if there is no money to buy hardware then there simply is no money to buy hardware.

Waiting for servers and stats to return like the rest of you.

Cy

Cy said:
While all the trouble is bothersome we must not forget that this is all being done through scholastic and volunteer effort. Its easy to point fingers and say how we'd all do it differently, but wait, no-one ever did do this. :) I know we all hope lessons are being learned but if there is no money to buy hardware then there simply is no money to buy hardware.

Waiting for servers and stats to return like the rest of you.

Cy

Might but true to an extent, however, if they are hardware limited they should have known that before starting a second project (BOINC) before shutting down the first (Classic). Hardware problems will probably be releived as soon as they get around to shutting down classic and reallocating the hardware. Right now we've got 50lbs of crap in a 10 pound bag, and to expect it not to have issues is incompetance at worse, stupidity at best.

they do have ups's , according to the site, they have to re-arrange their server 'closet' to make the new machine fit. They had the server temporarily in another room for testing etc.

however, they still should have protected the machine. i bet they have learned their lesson

ewl2 said:
they do have ups's , according to the site, they have to re-arrange their server 'closet' to make the new machine fit. They had the server temporarily in another room for testing etc.

however, they still should have protected the machine. i bet they have learned their lesson

Yup, to have a UPS fail like that (i.e. not enough backup time) is unfortunate, but preventable.

Back