• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smoothwall blocking TeamSpeak server connecction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ri0

I just setup a smoothwall today. I found I had all the parts to get one up and running. I had enough of the packet loss problems from my linksys and thought I'd give Smoothwall a try. Everything was a snap, except being able to connect to my team speak server.

Eth0 is Green
Eth1 is Red

TeamSpeak Server is running on 192.168.0.10
I am on .11

You have to forward UDP 8767 to the TeamSpeak server address, but the firewall is blocking something else...It worked just fine when I set it up in the router.

Here is what my firewall log view shows when I try to connect to the TS server. It is blocking access.

17:23:19 eth0 eth0 UDP 192.168.0.11 2300 192.168.0.10 8767

I have this in port forwarding

UDP ALL 2300:2320 192.168.0.10 8767

Anyone have any ideas how to get it working?

Last edited:
Ugh, I really want to figure this out. I like the layout of SmoothWall, but need my teamspeak.

the IPs you have listed are one the same subnet? the traffic shouldn't even be reaching your smoothwall box......

you say that teamspeak needs UDP8767 to be forwarded but your current forwarding rules are sending from 2300:2320 to 8767, not forwarding 8767 to 8767 ?

Dunno, the source port is showing 2300 range... I tried the 8767 to 8767 and still got nothing.

I've had it set up like this:
UDP ALL 8767 192.168.0.10 8767

but in looking at the log in the firewall, I noticed the source port in the 2300 range, so I tried it that way.

If anyone can solve this, you will be my best friend! :D

From the TS FAQ... Seems too simple.

To get your server working behind a router / firewall you only need to forward/open port 8767 UDP (not TCP!).

TeamSpeak Client:

TeamSpeak Client uses random ports from the whole 1024-65535 range for source port and sends to port 8767 (UDP) unless indicated otherwise.

Note:
The TeamSpeak Client doesn't usually require any configuration of routers or firewalls. Do NOT setup your router to do port-forwarding or similar, as this is only needed when running the server.

So will it make a difference if the server is behind the firewall and the client is behind the firewall? That seems to be where I am having difficulty. Hmmm....

Last edited:
I just think I got the answer! Why am I trying to find the WAN address when my client and server are in the same LAN!??? I can't wait to get home and try it. I am certain this should work!

Forwarding is only relevant to get from the internet to your local teamspeak server. Inside your LAN, no forwarding will ever be needed. So the forwarding isn't your problem.

CHeck that the Teamspeak server actually listens on port 8676 udp with netstat. Also check firewalls on the 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11. Only things with those two machines itself can ever cause connection problems since they are in the same subnet, smoothwall (192.168.0.1 I guess?) never should see that traffic in a properly set up LAN

Back