• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting new computer into the fight.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leadarrows

Registered
The HP I ordered arrived today and I will be hooking it up tomorrow. Now if Verizon would just give me DSL. :bang head
Anyway this should help my stats some. LOL

I do have some questions however.
I read in the book that there is a wizard that will transfer all the files from my old PC to my new one. It just says files and settings. How about Programs? Like Quick Books and Spy Ware programs? The thing is though I have been having all kinds of trouble with the old one and I'M afraid I'LL bring some of the problems with the old files. What should I do? I have several programs such as Norton,Ad Ware,Spy Sweeper and Pest Patrol that I subscribe to updates for. Should I load the old programs from the wizard or reinstall from the CD then go on line for the upgrades? Remember I'M on dial up so starting from scratch will bite. Any thing else you think of I might need to know when making the switch please let me know. I thought of networking them and unloading all unnecessary programs from the old PC and using it for files and picture storage and Folding of course. :cool: Is this a good idea...best use? Speaking of pictures do I really need to install the software that came with my camera? I don't use it I prefer Microsoft's Photo editor or Adobe Photo shop 7.0 anyway. Comments suggestions please. Thanks.

New PC

HP Compaq Business Desktop dc7100 CMT
HP Compaq Business Desktop dc7100 CMT
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2
Intel® Pentium® 4 560 (3.60E GHz) with 800-MHz Front Side Bus, 1024KB L2 Cache
Thermal Kit - dc7100 CMT
1GB DDR Synch Dram PC3200 (400-MHz) Non ECC (2 x 512)
1.44MB Diskette Drive for CMT
160GB 7200rpm Serial ATA
160GB 7200rpm Serial ATA (2nd)
SATA Cable 2nd CMT (If 2nd Hard Drive is chosen, cable must be added.)
16X 4.7GB DVD+R/RW Drive
48X/32X/48X/16X Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive
Integrated Intel® Media Accelerator 900
Integrated Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit ethernet
Integrated Intel® audio with premium internal speaker
No keyboard
No mouse
Agere V92 56K PCI SoftModem, full-height for CMT
Microsoft® Office 2003 Professional
dc7100 Country kit for CMT and SFF
dc7100 Restore CD
3/3/3 (parts/labor/next business day on-site) limited warranty
I already have a NEC MulitSync LCD 1700V Monitor and Logitech Keyboard and mouse.

Well, I am always in favor of a nice clean os, so I always restart from sratch. I to am on 56k so I know what you mean though. What I would do is make a folder called like downloads. From now on every dl you do put the installer in there so for times like this its a quick reinstall. Any way for this time I would try and copy them over using like a duel HDD system or burn some CDs, things like nortan and stuff require system modifcations they have made and some registry changes. So to keep them you oculd have to clone the whole system which would also copy problams which I would try to avoid. So my advice is start over and use CDs to reinstall the stuff. (one of best feelings is having a new fresh OS install. its also one of the worst.) Thats just my opinion though you may want to do it differently.

Edit:Oh yeah almost forgot I dont feel like looking at it besides a few small details but from what i saw your system looks pretty good. Nice to keep the foldering coming.

i would start from scratch, even if it takes a lot of time downloading. maybe you can even go to a friend's place or a net cafe with broadband and get what you need on a key drive. and you are right you don't need the software that came with the camera, it will detect the camera just like another hard drive and you can view the images through "my computer." however some manufacturer's software includes valuable tools, like the ability to let you computer at home render the raw data instead of the camera itself. happy folding!

Heh, I'm so lazy, I've got broadband and I hate DLing stuff for reinstalls. With the bandwidth crunch everywhere, it's hard to find decently fast fileservers sometimes for some apps. Getting a 40mb install file for something yesterday took out 15mins of my life I'll never see again. So what I tend to do is browse the magazine racks once in a while and see if any of the PC magazines have a good bunch of utilities on thier CDs, and if they have half a dozen that I'll use I usually buy the magazine just for the CD. Maximum PC is good for putting out good utility disks once in a while. Then when I want to install a system, I can just feed it CDs to get all the useful stuff on it, and worry about getting it intarwebbed after I've got firefox on it. Nothing is more painful these days than trying to find graphics drivers on the web when you're stuck in 640x480 16 color mode with the version of IE that shipped with your OS, so at least make sure you have your graphics drivers, network drivers and a decent browser on CD.

regards,

Road Warrior

i have a seperate partition on my 740GD that i use to store all of my downloads...When i reinstall, it takes about 20 minutes to get everything installed because I don't have to go out and find the stuff.

When I down load an update and I'M given the choice to save it or run it I always save it. These updates are in my computer in a file called downloads. Now if I wasn't a computer Dummy I suppose I would know which ones I could use and how to do it. The one for Quick Books took 4 hours. I had to work today and now I need to give my office a good cleaning before I set it up. maybe I'll get to play with it by midnight. Where I can I get some kind of dust cover for my tower? My office is grand central station and it's dusty.I hope to move it soon but I'M stuck where I am for now.

Yes updates on disk can help. My bro in on a network his roomy reinstalled and before he oculd update hadlike 3 viruses. Some do conflict with drivers or mess up the OS though that is rare. Any way good luck on set-up

That speaker just came with it I guess. Not to worried about sound I have an Altec Lansing Multimedia 621 speaker system. I already have Wireless mouse,keyboard speaker system and three different printers. I just needed MORE POWER!!! HAHAHAHAH> LOL

Haha, yeah the like 400 extra bucks you pay for just there name(also case but still rip off) dosnt matter as long as you have good speakers. Everyone knows you cannot fold without some nice 3d sound.

Back