• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte K8ns ultra 939 Raid Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

serinol

I am having a great deal of trouble setting up RAID. There are two sets of SATA connectors on the board, (1). SATA0 SB & SATA1 SB (2). SATA0 SII & SATA1 SII. I don't know which ones to use to set up a stripped RAID array using two WD 200GB SATA hard drives. I have been able to install windows xp and all of the componants work. I just can't seem to set up a stripped RAID array. This is my first build so please be as simple in your explaination as you can. Thanks in advance.http://www.ocforums.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=48#
cry

PS Please include instructions on setting up the bios for Raid.

System:

Gigabyte k8ns-Ultra 939
M/B Rev : 1.1
BIOS Ver : F5

Video Card: Chaintech fx 5500
CPU: AMD: 3000+
Operation System : Win XP Pro
Memory Brand : Corsair DDR
Memory Size : (2) Sticks of 512MB Each
Power Supply : Thermaltake480 W
Hard drives-(2) Western Digital Sata 200 GB each.
Dvd's-(1) Sony 710a and (1)lite-on dvd drive

I am a photographer and will be using this rig to process images mainly using Adobe CS. I hope that I chose the right componants. Thanks.

i just got this board 2 weeks ago and had a little trouble setting the sata raid up......so heres how i did it:

*before you begin......if you have any ide hard drives installed....disconnect them until you are done installing windows onto your newly created sata raid array.

first thing to do is copy the raid drivers onto a floppy. you will find these on the cd that came with your motherboard (i made 2...one with the nvidia raid drivers and one with the SiL drivers). the instructions for this are on page 78 in the manual.

i tried the nvidia raid channel (the sata ports just above the agp slot) on my first attempt. worked okay but i had better success with the Sil sata raid (the sata ports near the bottom of the board).

i would suggest you try the SiL channel near the bottom of the board. so hook up the drives to those ports.

enter the bios and make sure all sata raid options are enabled. ....... under "integrated peripherals" in the bios, "enable" the following options:

-serial-ata 2 (internal phy) (onboard nvidia nforce3 ultra chipset)
-onboard serial ata (onboard sil3512 chipset)
-serial ata function

save the settings and restart.

as the computer boots press the "F4" key to enter the raid bios (you would press "F10" for the nvidia sata raid bios if using the ports above the agp slot).

this is where you will set up your raid array. choose striped or mirrored and choose your stripe size (i tried 64k and 128k.....128 is giving me better results with my 2x250gb maxtors). create the array by adding each drive to the set (the drives should appear on the left side of screen....as you add them to the array, they move onto the right side)....save your settings and restart.

boot the computer from the xp cd and as it starts up press and hold the "F6" key to "install any third party drivers...etc". it will take xp a minute or 2 to load some setup files, then it will ask you to insert the floppy disc with the raid drivers on it. insert the floppy that you made containing the SiL raid drivers and press enter. after the raid drivers are installed the xp installation will continue. when you get to the part where you format the drive(s).....make sure windows sees them as one drive and not 2 individual drives. if it is seeing 2 drives, then something is wrong and you must repeat the raid array setup again. making sure that both drives are added to the array.

hope that helps......

Back