• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running DDC pump w/o turning on computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ceo@eventures-s

Is it possible to "turn the pump on" w/o actually turning on the computer?

I cannot seem to get the power supply to run w/o using the power button on my case.

Please help

I think you would have to short the PSU connector, and trick it into thinking the computer got turned on.

How? I dont know, but am interested in finding out.

Yeah just use a switch. Green wire = positive ... black = ground

Or just get an older AT PSU that uses a switch anyway when you want to run it without the system

You happen to have some staples at home do you? well, break a 3 staples (they're like stick together as one piece). Then locate the green wire pin (its right at the clip of your 20-pin connector) then slide the staples in with the any black wire pin. Then you will have a shorted PSU. PLug the PSU to the wall, use the switch on the psu to turn it on/off.

Have fun.

MameXP said:
You happen to have some staples at home do you? well, break a 3 staples (they're like stick together as one piece). Then locate the green wire pin (its right at the clip of your 20-pin connector) then slide the staples in with the any black wire pin. Then you will have a shorted PSU. PLug the PSU to the wall, use the switch on the psu to turn it on/off.

Have fun.

Thats an awesome tip, thanks man.

The other alternative is to either pull the CPU out and turn the computer on at the case power switch, or simply put a stock heatsink onto the CPU in the meantime.

You can also just get a peice of wire, strip off soem insulation off both ends, and use that as your "switch". If your REALLY lazy you can also buy a prefabbed PSU "short switch" which is basically just an 18 guage wire with some male ATX pins on the end.

MameXP said:

Have fun.

I think i'll take your advice.

But, will this damage or screw up my PSU?

I will post a pic in a few minutes

shortpsu002.jpg

shortpsu003.jpg

shortpsu009.jpg

YES! that is a 77 Bonneville H/C top mounted in a Lian Li PC-7!

2 of the connector, 1 of the test system running... that is a $9.99 PSU, please don't come after me if you blow up yours! But if you are careful, you will be just fine!

Last edited:
ok guys, i just tried the staple idea and it works great!!! hahahah

I must say, I'm continually impressed by the collective knowledge of those on this forum....

thanks so much!!!

Back