• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling parts questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatshlink

my first non air cooled system

i am looking to build my first water cooler and had some questions about parts. I am going to use a lian-li pc-70 and try to use quality parts. first which radiator is beter the aquacoil or the big mamma or another. as far as waterblocks go i am looking at the reacter. the part I coulnt find much reading on was pumps and tanks. How much water flow do i need(i am going to try to run coper pipes throug my minifrige and may need bigger pump) and how big of a tank should i use. Also should i have pump seperate from tank or submersed for space.

Thanx for input.
[email protected]
aim:fat shlink

Last edited:
For a pump, I think most ppl would reccomend anything from 140 GPH and up. I havea 160 GPH and it's pretty strong enough to go through my spiraled copper tubing.

Erm....some ppl would say that you should stay away from fast water flow because it doesn't allow enough time to cool, but I think that anything under 400 GPH is way good enough (help me out here guys)

It really depends on what you are planning on using. If you are just using a manufactored kit, with minimal tubing, a 150 GPH pump will do just dandy.

As for the reservoir. There's a simple rule. The bigger the better. reffering to an article on overclockers.com "It would be pretyty hard to heat up the ocean right?" So. the bigger your reservoir, the harder it will be for your chip to cool down.

If youa re going for attractiveness you can use the underground elextrical box that you can buy at a hardware store. But I'm using a 7 liter plastic bucket that works nice. The only thing that might make you change your mind on how big of a reservoir is : space and attractiveness, and the water mixture (ie. how much distilled water you have to purchase, how much water wetter, etc.)

i was not planing on using premade its. i wanted to make, and try to contain it entirly in my case (pc-70 full tower Alminum).

also I was looking on www.overclock-watercool.com and found the vapochil case ($700). When i added up all the parts i was planing on using in my water cooler,

lian-li pc-70 case 220
enermax 650w psu 80
aquicoil radiator 55
reactor waterblock 100
pumpetc 65
2x 120mm fans 30
pelt 60

total 610+shiping

the price was closer thn i expected. is their any reason why i shouldnt just save the extra money and go for the vapochil instead of water coolong??

Whoa! What are you...rich? Jeez...I'm aiming to find a water cooling setup of under 80 dollars Canadian.

I guess you could buy the vaporchill.....(but then you hae no fun putting everything together an showing off your cooling getup :D )

That is true. I would like to get something in between o i could put it together but still have something to show off. and im not rich, im 15 and have no life, and all my money goes tward my computer. basicly i find something i want then save up...

Uh...
Wait a minute, I'm 15 too.....but where the heck did you dig uup 600$ US? Sell your parents car?

hehe...anyways...
The only thing that you basically need to BUY is the water block. True there are many ppl that have built their own, but I consider it very risky. Because imporper contact of the core could crush it (no contact could overheat it), leaks can kill it, etc.

check out this post:
http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36585

it pretty much answers all your questions..

if your looking for price/qulity, I think the danger dan water block is pretty good. try ti at www.dangerdan.com

idont actaly have it yet, and it beats me where i get it. i just kiinda do. i build custom computers for people sometimes. and i am actually concidereing getting a job to fuel my need to make pointless overkill upgrades to my computer and show how much more mad 1337 skilz that i have than the people whith compaqs and dells at my quake-a-thons (lan parties)

Back