• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mozilla starting to fall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

I am seeing some problems starting to appear with mozilla. I am seeing some popus coming. And also even spyware installed. And I only use mozilla.
What you guys think, in a few months mozilla will becone internet explorer. Is M$ involved in taking down mozilla.
Thanks

Mozilla isn't falling... it's evil webmasters getting smarter.

I have yet to see any type of spyware come in through Firefox, but I have noticed that some webmasters have starting using scripts to bring popups up that Firefox doesn't catch.

Next update will probally add the new way of making windows popup blocked...

yea, I asked my boss at school (im a "junior" tech) why we arnt using firefox. He said its now worth it because the ppl that make virus, spyware ect. will start making stuff for mozilla and the only reason it is better now is because the spyware out now is mostly attacking IE.

I have recently started getting popups on firefox and have had to resort to using my backup popup blocker to stop them

I love Firefox...except when I click a link it opens a new window instead of a tab...anyone know how to fix this?

i wud hafta agree with pcguy.
there are new ways in advertising, i have seen a few text ads instead of images so we can end up blocking them. in this week i have gotten ~3 popups, but they are all blank since i have my own filters. these are not popups they are popUNDERS.
mozilla will never fall even when IE7 comes back since the users they obtained will always stick with firefox and wont switch back to IE.

jchsatx09 said:
I love Firefox...except when I click a link it opens a new window instead of a tab...anyone know how to fix this?

You need the Tabbed browser extension for FF 1.0

In FF go to tools/extensions/click on get more extensions/then d/l the Tabbed browser extension/once installed-restart FF/ then tools/options/tabbed browsing/configure to your liking (it defaults to new tab)

yeah, this is the same with all browsers. i read somewhere even safari users are getting them.

{edited out } he made an reffeance to safari as its also getting probs. webmasters get smart.. i know that i had to make my own plugin to stop some java stuff from working casue it was bugging me for firefox. ..most adds you see are java nowdays.. no more right click and block

Last edited:
There is one CRUCIAL difference between firefox and internet explorer: with firefox, there are no "drive by installs".

There is way more than one crucial difference, there are many, and you listed one. ;)

Firefox should have quicker turnaround for solutions, especially if you use the nightlies:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/

Some of these problems could already be resolved, as I haven't looked at any change logs for what has been updated.

POL-tec2002 said:
yea, I asked my boss at school (im a "junior" tech) why we arnt using firefox. He said its now worth it because the ppl that make virus, spyware ect. will start making stuff for mozilla and the only reason it is better now is because the spyware out now is mostly attacking IE.

That shows that your boss isn't familiar with the technical reasons why they are different. ActiveX is one. The lack of integration into the operating system is really the most important factor... IE is hooked into the OS, firefox is not. There are many reasons why firefox will not have the same problems IE has, and why it hasn't had the multitude of problems of similar severity.

wizard james said:
yo ..if u didnt have 5 stars i would flame you... but i am gona be a little nicer then going crazy upsidedown. he made an reffeance to safari as its also getting probs. webmasters get smart.. i know that i had to make my own plugin to stop some java stuff from working casue it was bugging me for firefox. ..most adds you see are java nowdays.. no more right click and block
There should be no popups, or flaming, regardless of number of stars.

As far as tabbed browsing is concerned, nothing beats Tabbrowser Extensions.

The reality of the situation is that this situation is a lot like spam. No matter what you do, and no matter how much effort you put into it, you won't be able to stop it completely. Spammers, and popup ad-makers are not all script kiddies. They are smart people, with a business instinct and technical knowledge. They know that shoving something in someone's face is a better marketting technique than starting an online business and going the conventional advertising routes. They also know that they are making money by doing this, and that is better than not making any money. They also know that people are running popup stoppers (how many people have gotten a popup telling them that if they buy this product, popups will stop?), and other blocking techniques will stop them, so they actively seek out new ways of advertising.. like the Messenger popups, popunders, etc.

The way I see it, anyone who resorts to spam-like or activities that involve annoying the target market for the purpose of making money has only one goal in mind: Getting your money.

The lack of integration into the operating system is really the most important factor... IE is hooked into the OS, firefox is not.
Yes!
IE will always have the potentional for bigger/more security holes, becuase of how deep into Windows it is.

Will crap that attacks Mozilla/Firefox come out? Of course... but also Firefox/Mozilla is open source, and in general open source can be more secure. With as many people loving Firefox and that number growing, it's bound to become more secure.

And you can't forget the fact that a lot of the people that make "evil" things tend to be against M$, and I would bet over 75% of them use Firefox/Mozilla. (the hardcore guys use text browsers :p).

Back