• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I reseat my heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnmcc516

Ok, there is the question. I run prime 95 on maximum heat for 8 hours and no errors. However, when I play certain graphic heavy games I will get a BSOD after 30min to 1 hr of play. I drop my settings back to stock and I have no problems. I also installed a duct chassis for my cpu.

When I first seated my heatsink, I just put a grain in the middle, wiggled the heatsink around and tightened it up. Do you think spreading the artic silver 5 paste would give me better temperatures? I may try and lap the heatsink as well. Any opinions? For now, I will just run my pc at stock (which is fine, its still fast as lightening to me)

It might not be your CPU, it might be your GPU that is over heating.

Personally I would check the temps of both the CPU and the GPU when gamming.

If your CPU is stable through a prime 95 torture, but graphics cause a crash, I'd say GPU.

I too would say it's the GPU...but I can see in your sig that you've got a Silencer.
If you're overclocking your GPU a whole lot, try lowering it to stock speeds, and see what happens...
Good luck. :burn:

Did you check to make sure the silencer seated properly. Some cards have verying hights bettwen the ram and the GPU itself. I'm willing to bet you don't have a good seat on the silencer.

Jas said:
Did you check to make sure the silencer seated properly. Some cards have verying hights bettwen the ram and the GPU itself. I'm willing to bet you don't have a good seat on the silencer.

i'll add onto that - a number of 6800 silencers don't make proper contact with the core due to the different height of the ram - a couple members had to sand down the ramsinks on it so that it would seat properly - arctic cooling is releasing a new revision of it to fix this problem

Well it may be the GPU, and it probably is. If arctic cooling comes out with a new release of the silencer, I may buy it (its only 30 bucks or so). I have already reseated the GPU silencer a couple times. It dropped my temperatures alot. When I run 3dmark05 or any game, the temps don't get high at all, 60°C max. I may be getting a bad reading though.

My GPU is running at stock speed right now.

I really don't think its my GPU. I haven't gotten any BSOD when everything is at stock speeds.

Well, I will look into lapping it or something to try to get the heatsink to sit on the gpu better.

WIll someone tell me how to put doom3, 3dmark05, or some other test into a loop so I can torture test my GPU. Thanks.

I don't know that you would even need to loop anything. I would say run 3d Mark a coupel times, keep an eye on the temps, if the temps stay low and it is stable through a coupel runs, you are probably good to go.

Back