• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a good sub and speaker system for my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

I have the Yamaha YST- MS28 speakers with a matching sub. I need some new stuff cause the sub has crapped out, any bass and it pops so I think it is fried. Any recommedations?

cisco Kid;)

Altec Lansing makes a good 4 speaker and a woofer system that sounds good,at least to my ears and it's not to expensive.I think i paid around 80.00 when i bought mine.

yst-ms28, what size is the woofer?

I have the YST-MSW10 (Sub-woofer), and YST-M15 (satellites) I subject them to some pretty deep/loud bass lines at high volumes (Jungle music), I still have not had any problems. how did you destroy yours? I would get some more Yamaha's tho...

woofer size

woofer is about 14 inches tall and 8 inches wide, bought it in '99

cisco kid:D

Cisco Kid said:
I have the Yamaha YST- MS28 speakers with a matching sub. I need some new stuff cause the sub has crapped out, any bass and it pops so I think it is fried. Any recommedations?

cisco Kid;)

Stick with yours! I had the same model, YST-MS28, DAMN fine speakers. If you wiggle the right speaker cable at it's base (Where it enters the woofer), you can fix this problem temporarily (You may have to duct tape it at a certain angle to maintain the signal). When it finally craps out totally, go and buy a brand new set, then package the old, broken set up in the box, and get your money back, so you'll have a new set, and Yamaha will take the cost (Stores return broken merchandise to manufacturers if their tests reveal it not to work). Eventually, Yamaha will learn, and fix whatever the problem is.

The 28's are the best sounding 2.1 speakers I've ever heard, bar none. Even with only 28 watts total, it kicks the BEJESUS out of any other 2.1 speaker setups I've seen (Aside from Klipsche's bass, but the treble isn't as good in Klipsche's).

I've had to replace mine 4 times, and I got sick of it (This is over the course of 4 years), so I bought a set of Midiland 4060M's. The sound doesn't compare at all, the 4060M's have constant line noise, the highs arent as clear, the woofer has no pop to it, the sattelites are bigger, and you can't adjust the sattelite's angle.

The YST-MS28's are the way to go, I just got lazy. I wish I had stuck with them though, I'm suffering in gameplay because of my lazyness. When these speakers die, I'm DEFINATELY going to buy a new set of YST-MS28's.

Re: Re: Need a good sub and speaker system for my PC

PhLuBB said:

Stick with yours! I had the same model, YST-MS28, DAMN fine speakers. If you wiggle the right speaker cable at it's base (Where it enters the woofer), you can fix this problem temporarily (You may have to duct tape it at a certain angle to maintain the signal). When it finally craps out totally, go and buy a brand new set, then package the old, broken set up in the box, and get your money back, so you'll have a new set, and Yamaha will take the cost (Stores return broken merchandise to manufacturers if their tests reveal it not to work). Eventually, Yamaha will learn, and fix whatever the problem is.

The 28's are the best sounding 2.1 speakers I've ever heard, bar none. Even with only 28 watts total, it kicks the BEJESUS out of any other 2.1 speaker setups I've seen (Aside from Klipsche's bass, but the treble isn't as good in Klipsche's).

I've had to replace mine 4 times, and I got sick of it (This is over the course of 4 years), so I bought a set of Midiland 4060M's. The sound doesn't compare at all, the 4060M's have constant line noise, the highs arent as clear, the woofer has no pop to it, the sattelites are bigger, and you can't adjust the sattelite's angle.

The YST-MS28's are the way to go, I just got lazy. I wish I had stuck with them though, I'm suffering in gameplay because of my lazyness. When these speakers die, I'm DEFINATELY going to buy a new set of YST-MS28's.

PhLubb,

Thanks for the info, I will play around with them tonight and see what happens. You are right I love the speakers and the sound is excellent, it is just gonna be a problem finding these ones new again. If ya know a link let me know.

Thanks
Cisco Kid;)

Hey they work right thanks PhLubb

Yeeee hawwww sound is so sweet they work again. Thanks for the tip PhLubb,
I am gonna try to find a set again and do the return as you mentioned, like your style LOL, I have pulled that one off before......

Cisco Kid, learning again from a pro!!!!!

gosta get outside to play a bit it is soooo sweet today!!!!!:cool: :D ;)

The Klipsch Promedia line is about the best pc speaker setup you can buy(they range in price from $169-$399

I have the Klipsch 2.1's that I bought at BestBuy for $169 and they are worth every penny

http://www.klipsch.com/products/promedia

promedia03.gif

These are the one's I use:

iconpromedia03.gif

:)

Re: Hey they work right thanks PhLubb

Cisco Kid said:
Yeeee hawwww sound is so sweet they work again. Thanks for the tip PhLubb,
I am gonna try to find a set again and do the return as you mentioned, like your style LOL, I have pulled that one off before......

Cisco Kid, learning again from a pro!!!!!

gosta get outside to play a bit it is soooo sweet today!!!!!:cool: :D ;)

You are most certainly welcome. =)

Eventually, the sub will die out again. It's also possible that the sattelites may die out instead.

Whatever happens, wiggle the right speaker cable a bit, and tape it at whatever angle it's at when the sound works.

You'll probably also want to buy some Goo Gone or Goof Off to get the tape adhesive off when it comes time to replace them with a new set. You need to make the casings look as new as possible, some stores meticulously comb over the external to find any sign of tampering.

When you do return them, say that the speakers are doing exactly what they are doing; the bass or treble cuts out. DOn't say that the cable is broken, or anything specific. If you say one thing, and they find something else wrong, you could end up with an embarrased red face, and no refund. :cool:

Yeo I hear ya and thanks once again.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Cisco Kid:D

Why not just do like I did and piece together an old stereo, I got an old reciever from a friend of mine with 6.1dts and I hooked up some of my older bose. and you can feel this thing rumble through the whole house!!!

Does it have good bass?

Cisco Kid said:

cisco Kid;)

Back