• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Square region on CPU die, bad??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dAvies.lOcker

I'm putting this post in this section despite my CPU being an AMD, because its probably got a simple anwer to it and more people are likely to see it.

I have just swapped the HSF on my AMD Athlon 2400+ and whilst cleaning it i noticed, a small square (not complete, but definately a square) in the "upper right hand corner" ish". Due to the fact that its shape is a definate square i think that CPU damage is less likely, or is it? Is my CPU damaged?? :cry:

If it isn't damage, what the hell is it?

D.L

dAvies.lOcker said:
I'm putting this post in this section despite my CPU being an AMD, because its probably got a simple anwer to it and more people are likely to see it.

I have just swapped the HSF on my AMD Athlon 2400+ and whilst cleaning it i noticed, a small square (not complete, but definately a square) in the "upper right hand corner" ish". Due to the fact that its shape is a definate square i think that CPU damage is less likely, or is it? Is my CPU damaged?? :cry:

If it isn't damage, what the hell is it?

D.L
The little square is supposed to be there. I think I heard what it was at one point, but I've forgotton now. It's just some sort of marking AMD puts there.

This post should be the AMD forum and would probably get more views there (the AMD subforum seems to be a much busier place than here).

Nope, on the actual die of the CPU. Like i said, its a well defined square shape, near if not perfect. So i doubt (hopefully) that it is some sort of thermal, mechanical damage. But i only ask becuase i was shocked wen i saw it and oud like to check that my assumption is correct. What is it is it isnt damage tho?

D/L :beer: (well 4 JDs actually)

Well, that is good!

To be honest, one of the main reason why thermal damage came to mind when i saw it, was that i saw a CPU on ebay, and the seller showed the pic of the die with the square barcode, and was selling the item as damaged!! Now looking back at it, i shud have placed a bid - it went for pennies :cry:

D.L :beer:

Back