• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x800 to x850 softmod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sean478

i saw some thing on google that said something about a x800 to x850 softmod
but did not click on it and was never able to find it again
does any one know anything about this or how it might be done

and what hapens when u flash a x850 bios onto a x800
(i know its pointless but does any one know if it works)

Last edited:
There's no way to do this because:
1. These cards use a completely different interface, AGP vs. PCI-E
2. These cards have two different chips which will make the x850 bios not work properly on a x800, most likely.

not true the r423 pcie x800 is difrent from the r420 agp x800 and may be compadible with a custom made bios does any one know how to make a x800 xt pe bios act like x850 aka device id driver detection mem colcks pretty much make it look lixe a x850 except stil be compatable with the core and pcb

Last edited:
ya.. I'm to scared to do that lol.. i just OC mine

Is your friends card AGP? If not, I doubt it'll work. you can still try it, if you have a pci card just incase something goes wrong. Maybe he can flash to an x800xt PE instead.

the card is agp and i want it to come up as a x850 agp (they probibly use the same driver r481/r480) and install the x850 driver but need help on changeing stock bios to tell the driver it is an x850 i think this might help improve performance (cause of the driver) and i want to change the clocks but i got that under control

only way it will improve performance is tighter ram timings, and unlocking pipelines... seems pointless to me, if it was posible / worth doing it would have been done by now.

[BBE]Jimbob said:
only way it will improve performance is tighter ram timings, and unlocking pipelines... seems pointless to me, if it was posible / worth doing it would have been done by now.

I don't think there are any pipelines to unlock. As to the flashing, IIRC someone tried it and his card died?? :shrug:

ok its pointless granted but does any one know how to edit the bion to make it look like the x850 and install its driver by default

there arnt any pipe lines to unlock but the x850 driver ihas a better driver than the x800

You can change what model the card pops up as by modifying the device ID of the BIOS. Theoretically, you could get a 9500 to show up as an X850XT PE by changing the BIOS.

Easier way to get the name to change is to just modify the driver to change the adapter's name.

i tried that on my 9700 tried to get it to come up as a 9800 cause the driver is better but it came up as unknown im thinking that there might be something els that the driver looks for ive tried changeing the sub sis and the dev id and it came up as unknown o and i even tried the dev id unlock hard mod

Back