• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Active RAM cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boostdfd3s

Disabled
hey every1,
After seeing the OTES that comes with the new Abit fatality boards, i was wodnering if there was a similar product on the market for other boards. I have tried to make a 80mm fan hang on the clips with some ghetto clothes-hangar clips, but they didnt turn out so well :bang head

Anyone know of a similar product that will actively cool my RAM?

I don't think it will really help that much... Why not try getting two 60MM fans attached instead of a 80mm one?

Unless your a upping your voltage to your ram to overclock, then there is really no sense in it. TT does make an active ram cooler. You can find it newegg. that is where i got mine. If nothing else it looks cool.

Last edited:
i found one that looks just like the OTES cooler for $15 at xoxide.com. Gonna see how she turns out

On most motherboards the memory sockets are located in the top corner surrounded by 4 of the mounting holes. On these boards I screw in a brass stand off in place of the mounting screw to mount a fan assy.

asus17.jpg

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Very nice, just get rid of the ratty molexes ;)

Honestly, I would just buy one of those zalman low profile fans with that weird connector, that lets you screw it down to say, the cpu fan, and have it sit over your ram.

I have a 60mm amd cpu fan hotglued to my cpu duct which cools my ram.. :)

Wstinkbait said:
On most motherboards the memory sockets are located in the top corner surrounded by 4 of the mounting holes. On these boards I screw in a brass stand off in place of the mounting screw to mount a fan assy.

Nice idea! That's actually one of the cleaner solutions I've seen. I've got to remember it.

THunDA said:
I have a 60mm amd cpu fan hotglued to my cpu duct which cools my ram.. :)

I actually just did something like this a few days ago with a YS Tech 60mm fan (40+ cfm)...but I glued it too the PSU because of the way the ram slots are on the MSI...

And the thermaltake heatspreaders are junk...weak fan...flimsy alum. spreaders...these tend to hamper more then help becasue most of the times it traps heat and heats up the PCB which in turn reheats the memory chips...so its one big heat cycle...

Yes, glock19owner is right about the TT ram cooler. First of all it only works with bare chip sticks, You would have to remove any existing heatspreaders including factory ones. Second, the thim aluminum spreaders are attched with so called Thermal tape, (not Good). And the single 40 mm fan does little to cool realy hot sticks.

My vote goes for single 80mm fan placed on centre of RAM sticks or at their side with some DIY mounting. No waranty void and good and possibly quiet cooling.

would i void my Mushkin BH-5's warranty by pulling off the stock heatspreaders and putting copper ramsinks on them?

or has my 3.2v vdimm already voided them? :p:

If you have enough airflow, you shouldn't need copper heatsinks. And I think that it voids waranty. They shouldn't be able to detect max voltage used tho...

If you take off any factory heatspreaders...yes this will void the warranty..if you add them to memory that did not come with heatspreaders...this will NOT void the warranty...

And thats the key point venom made...make sure to have pleanty of air flow around your memory...weather using heatspreaders or not...

Call me noob, but how does one know if RAM is running too hot? What temp does it normally run at? What is too much? Or is this like hard drives, adding cooling when it isn't really necessary, though it does add a bling factor if you've got the room?

If you overclock RAM a lot, some cooling may help, especially if you overvolt your RAM. It may get simply fried without proper cooling. In rest of cases cooling mem isn't that important - just not to let it overheat, like with HDDs.

MVC said:
Call me noob, but how does one know if RAM is running too hot? What temp does it normally run at? What is too much? Or is this like hard drives, adding cooling when it isn't really necessary, though it does add a bling factor if you've got the room?

There is no set temp...but like all componets...the cooler you run them the better they will perform...

A good way to tell is by the touch test...if they are too hot to touch...then they are too hot to run for long periods of time...

Back