Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Classic Cars Rotting Away...many pics (linked)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 02-25-05, 10:15 AM Thread Starter   #1
Breadfan
Inactive Moderator

Classic Cars Rotting Away...many pics (linked)

Check out this site: http://www.classiccarsrotting.com/

Tons of pictures of some classic cars rotting away. A bit of a tear jerker for the classic car nut...oh how I wish I could pay an entrance fee and show up with a flatbed, I'd take a few of those home.

Some of them are pretty well gone, but many are still salvageable if you put the work into them...

Heatware -=:=-

"It must be said that genuine compassion is not like pity or a feeling that others are somehow lower than you. Rather, with genuine compassion you view others as more important than yourself." -- Dalai Lama
Breadfan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-25-05, 10:35 AM   #2
threeme2189

so sad...they should atleast use the metal for somthing...what a waste of precious resources.

Crappy 80 Gig HDD :: Sony CD Burner/dvd drive + CD drive

If You'll Excuse Me, I Have A Beam Of Light To Catch.
threeme2189 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-25-05, 12:54 PM Thread Starter   #3
Breadfan
Inactive Moderator

Definitely not a waste of precious resources - many of these cars are very valuable historic relics.

The good thing is each car has a parts request form. They're sitting "rotting" because they're in a salvage yard -- so their being stripped slowly of useable parts. Some of the cars look rebuildable, many are too far gone, but all in all it's funny to see many of these cars -- when they were parked no one probably cared about them, but 40 years later they've become classics.

It's funny to think, one day you may toss a '91 Lincoln in a junkyard because it's no longer worth repairing, it's hard to imagine that 40 or 50 years from now it could be quite valuable.

"It must be said that genuine compassion is not like pity or a feeling that others are somehow lower than you. Rather, with genuine compassion you view others as more important than yourself." -- Dalai Lama
Old 02-25-05, 01:37 PM   #4
Cjwinnit
B&

10 Year Badge

There is a Citroen DS19 on the front yard quietly rusting..

Official Modding Xaser III thread resurrecter.

"LIES! THE ONLY THING MORE AWESOME sounding THEN SEVERAL DELTAS AT 60+DB IS THE SCREAMING OF MERE MORTALS AS THEY GET TOO CLOSE!"
-freakdiablo
Cjwinnit is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-25-05, 02:22 PM   #5
RP Racing

Seen a site where some guy has 2 superbirds sitting in his yard about to fall apart. Refuses to sell them since he is gonna restore them "someday". One looks pretty gone though.
RP Racing is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-25-05, 07:08 PM   #6
skou
Senior

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP Racing
Seen a site where some guy has 2 superbirds sitting in his yard about to fall apart. Refuses to sell them since he is gonna restore them "someday". One looks pretty gone though.
If that isn't a capital offense, it should be!!

That is one of the BEST hot rods of ALL TIME!!

steve

It was great while it lasted, but my other home is gone.

steve
skou is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-25-05, 07:36 PM   #7
CPUonNO2

Yeah, unfortunately you see a lot of cars rotting around where I am in the rust belt. I've seen Cudas, Challengers (including a T/A), Superbee's, etc... just rotting away. It really is a shame, like the government supported scrappage programs (which are thankfully all but extinct). I'd give my old Mopar away before I'd see it destroyed.

Heatware

Last edited by CPUonNO2; 02-25-05 at 07:41 PM.
CPUonNO2 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-25-05, 10:31 PM   #8
Seven

You can only imagine my emotions as I passed by that place, staring out of the back seat window, HOPING I could get a chance to visit.

I mean, if nothing else, there are some AWESOME cars there.
I practically soiled myself when I saw that bright orange Lincoln Continental III sitting there, just WAITING for me to pick it up.

It's a shame it has to end up this way, yes. However, you can go and pick em up...they're very inexpensive.

Old 02-25-05, 11:53 PM   #9
n17ikh

Whoa... I LIVE near there. Maybe I should rent a flatbed or ten and take a trip.

Some of those cars... Wow. Looks like a project to me. Damn. That's wrong.

Old 02-26-05, 12:05 AM   #10
CrystalMethod
Senior Band Wagon Jumper

10 Year Badge

Man, we should get some of the car guys around here to start on some restoration projects. It's a crying shame to let classics like those just rot away.

CrystalMethod is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-26-05, 12:19 AM   #11
penquissciguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skou
If that isn't a capital offense, it should be!!

That is one of the BEST hot rods of ALL TIME!!

steve
And Superbirds are pretty rare too. They were only made one year, and Mother Mopar only made one for every North American dealerhip so that they would qualify as a "production" car for Nascar. The Dodge Daytona was basically the same car made in a different year (one was in the 1969 model year and the other was in the 1970 model year).

Ken

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Heatware
penquissciguy is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-26-05, 12:53 AM   #12
Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by n17ikh
Whoa... I LIVE near there. Maybe I should rent a flatbed or ten and take a trip.

Some of those cars... Wow. Looks like a project to me. Damn. That's wrong.
Check your PMs.

Old 02-26-05, 12:54 AM Thread Starter   #13
Breadfan
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven
You can only imagine my emotions as I passed by that place, staring out of the back seat window, HOPING I could get a chance to visit.

I mean, if nothing else, there are some AWESOME cars there.
I practically soiled myself when I saw that bright orange Lincoln Continental III sitting there, just WAITING for me to pick it up.

It's a shame it has to end up this way, yes. However, you can go and pick em up...they're very inexpensive.

That place looks great -- sun dried cars are not good for interiors, but I bet many of those cars are quite rust-free. Thats what I'd like to do...I'd like to come out to CA or AZ and get a nice 20's or 30's (or ok 40's) car to resto-mod, but get a nice rust free one...unlike the stuff around here which sits in decidous forests and sinks into the ground until the floorpans are sitting on wet ground and the interiors are getting full of wet leaves and pine needles... *shudders*

Old 02-26-05, 01:03 AM Thread Starter   #14
Breadfan
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalMethod
Man, we should get some of the car guys around here to start on some restoration projects. It's a crying shame to let classics like those just rot away.
Here's mine: '65 Triumph Spitfire

This project has really evolved over the months. Started out many many years ago as a hand me down from my father. Back then I just wanted to get it running. I had no cash though, so that didn't help things. Car deteriorated, but finally I pulled it out. Again my first intent was to fix up the body, stop the rust, spray it, get it running, and have fun.

It's a '65 body on a '68 chassis, so it's not an original '65 MK II Spitfire. As such it'll never really be worth a whole bunch. Keeping that in mind my original plan to goof off with it changed as I dug deeper, found more rust, and for every part I cleaned up I found another dirty rusty part.

Eventually the sentimentality of the car, as well as seeing other cars rotting away, led me to adjust my goals. The site in my sig has all the pics from this project thusfar, though I do have new ones I never posted. You can see how I was just using body filler at first. Got most of the body to primer, so the rust stopped, but honestly many of those battered parts are going to be replaced with new sheetmetal. The doors will have a tad bit of filler, but aren't bad enough to replace.

BTW, if anyone knows where I can find a '65 Triumph Spitfire body shell, PLEASE PM ME. I'm dead serious I'm in the market for a good rust-free condition body shell. (Doesnt' have to be 100% rust free, but accident free would be nice...mine has accident damage behind the drivers door, passenger rear quarter, and rear valence.)

In the pics above you see the evolution of the tear down. Car is now in parts in boxes. Frame is not painted, it's powder coated, and its dusty in that pic.

Suspension parts are now powder coated chrome silver (not shiney as chrome but a nice bright silver.) Once I get all the new bushings and baljoints and rebuild the rearend I'll have a rolling frame. All I need now is better weather, as I'm working "sans garage" on this project.

Anyone else with a project car feel free to post! Might have to be it's own topic if we get enough.

Old 02-26-05, 06:37 PM   #15
RP Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by penquissciguy
And Superbirds are pretty rare too. They were only made one year, and Mother Mopar only made one for every North American dealerhip so that they would qualify as a "production" car for Nascar. The Dodge Daytona was basically the same car made in a different year (one was in the 1969 model year and the other was in the 1970 model year).

Ken

1969 Daytona Charger 503 made (only 70 HEMI versions)
1970 Plymouth Superbird 1935 made (only 135 HEMI's)

Really sad thing is I turned down a chance to buy a 440+6 superbird in late 1984 for $3000. Being 15 at the time (mom was gonna drive it home for me since I was gonna get my license in March 85) and only thing about cars I knew was Camaro's, where the put the gas and where the key goes. Went and looked at this car (which was just out of town and rode my bicycle to see it. Bike was my preferred transportation even in HS) and thought to myself, I dont want something thats been modified. I seriously thought it was a KIT CAR. I didnt find out about what they really were until I got into road racing when I went over to a fellow drivers house and he had one. I could just KICK MYSELF now for not getting it. Worth in excess of $100K now. I settled for a 70 1/2 Camaro SS that a friend had but his dad was selling it to pay for his sons $400 in speeding tickets within 2 weeks. This was back when doing 30 over got you a $80 ticket to give you an idea how many he got. Needless to say, I bought the car and he got ****ed at me. Refused to evne talk to me anymore. Oh well. Had that car 2 weeks before the hood opened up at 55mph. Sold it for $200.
RP Racing is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-26-05, 08:16 PM   #16
Cyrix_2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalMethod
My dad has a 1969 442 & a 1977 442.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 442.jpg (174.5 KB, 43 views)

ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3

2500k @ 4.9ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

vCore
1.287 |Idle: 33c | Full load: 68c
16gb Corsair XMS 3
| Sapphire 6950 2GB UNLOCKED
F O L D For Team 32!!

Black belt Ubercloxx0r

Audio Technica ATH-A900's
"yet another issue with the R-series. If I actually use it on my lap, I can feel my sperm count dropping."
SANS GSEC Certified
Cyrix_2k is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-26-05, 09:05 PM   #17
Slackfumasta

Best picture on that site:

Slackfumasta is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-26-05, 09:13 PM   #18
Celeron_Phreak

Haha, they even have one of the rare Unidentifiable Ugly Duck's in their yard!!!

eVGA Geforce GTX 660 OC - HP 2009m 20" LCD & ASUS VS228 LCD
4x 1GB Mushkin PC3200 (3-3-3-8)
Seagate 200GB SATA -- WD 120GB SATA -- Seagate 300GB SATA -- Seagate 250GB IDE
939 AMD Opteron 180 @ 2872 MHz -- ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
HDA X-Plosion DTS -- Connected to component home theater :)

Heatware
Celeron_Phreak is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.