• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternate Northbridge Cooling solution? NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N1vek215

Hey I have an nf7-s v2 and I really hate that little whiny fan. Is there a better alternate such as a passive heatsink or maybe a lower speed fan?

Thanks in advance

You can pick up a little Thermalright NB-1 chipset cooler for about $15 from most online enthusiast-geared retailers (such as www.frozencpu.com). They are well built little SLK-style heatsinks, they use a little 40mm fan for cooling.

On a Rheobus, the NB-1 is silent, but still very effective. It is the most cost-effective, and high-quality nForce2 northbridge cooler, in my experience :).

I 2nd the NB-1 choice. I'd also recommend lapping your northbridge. I have the NB-1 on my nb & lapped. Good stuff.

I'm not really looking for MORE cooling I just want to get rid of that noisy fan without endangering my pc. Could that NB-1 used without a fan? any other suggestions?

Well what do you have right now? You may be able to use your current without a fan. The NB-1 fan is very very quiet. Any hunk of aluminium should serve you well as a passive heatsink. You could use the NB-1 without a fan if you wished. I would recommend using a fan in any scenario though.

**EDIT** Ok, you probably have the stock HS.......

Yeha I have thr stock hsf which is basically jsut a loud whiny fan. Anythign is fine as long as it's quiet

N1vek215

I'm not really looking for MORE cooling I just want to get rid of that noisy fan without endangering my pc. Could that NB-1 used without a fan? any other suggestions?

Yes, a NB-1 can be used without the fan turned on, it will work fine as a passive heatsink if you do not overvolt your chipset too much :)

I also use a Vantec Copper IceBerq. I can't really tell if it is "loud" or "quiet" which I suppose is a good thing as my computer runs fairly quiet. Comes with some heatsinks, one which I stuck on my southbridge. It looks cool too!

I would get either the NB-1, NB-1c as it is not that much more expensive, or the Zalman ZM-47J. I use the NB-1c with the fan on a Zalman fanmate, and it is great.

Back