• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking PS2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caincha

Does anyone knows any way of overcloking a PS2?
If there is a idea about it I'm willing to try.... :cool:
And since we're on it, can Dreamcast, Xbox or Gamecube be overclocked as well?

It would be impossible to OC a PS2, Dreamcast, XBOX & GC for that matter you'll need software to get into the consoles CPU settings and I don't think Sony nor Microsoft would make it easy to do that.

So answer to your question NO you can't OC a games console not to my knowledge anyways.

Yeah there's also that as well savage but that alone means having the knowledge of the PS2 set-up and where to weld the jumpers etc.

tech tv had a show with someone OCing a sega genesis lol... went from like 7mhz CPU to like 16 or 18mhz :D

If you install the OS on tehre you might beable to use a OC software on it.

deathman20 said:
If you install the OS on tehre you might beable to use a OC software on it.

I agree with this. I dont think you would be able to get into the cpu settings, but I'm sure there is a way to get ocing programs in there. I would have no idea where to begin though. I would google for some good xbox forums or something I guess.

im sure it can be done to both. but it would prolly take alot of time to figure it out. all the power to anyone who attempts it though. :thup:

i know you can give extra cooling on the xbox pretty easily
im pretty sure its been done before, im at school so i cant google it now, but im retty sure it has been done before

I have a friend that repairs broken PS2 systems. I'm certain the only way to overclock them would be through hard mods, although with the right wiring diagrams it should in theory not be all that difficult. Extra cooling, and possibly extra power, would be a must - but also shouldn't be overly complicated.

A PS2 is really just a simple computer with a DVD Rom drive. So it's not really an 'if it can be done' issue. The question is if anyone in the general public can get their hands on the right info to actually OC one. You could also question whether it would be worth the effort or not (which I think it wouldn't).

xboxes can be 'overclocked' its mostly just soldering on more RAM.... (doubling it from 32 to 64Mb's of RAM)..... but i've seen a site online with diagrams (don't remember where, now) of a guy who figured out how to stick a faster processor in an X-Box... some kinda PGA converter from P3 to whatever the x-box uses. (could put a p3 1.1Ghz in there, eh?)

TollhouseFrank said:
xboxes can be 'overclocked' its mostly just soldering on more RAM.... (doubling it from 32 to 64Mb's of RAM)..... but i've seen a site online with diagrams (don't remember where, now) of a guy who figured out how to stick a faster processor in an X-Box... some kinda PGA converter from P3 to whatever the x-box uses. (could put a p3 1.1Ghz in there, eh?)
Yea there is a specific Xeon that you could add that would detect properly on an Xbox but I forget which

Wasn't it like a 1.0 or 1.4Ghz chip you could switch out with the xbox??? I've heard it being done before but that was almost at initial release of the box.

As for OCing the PS2 worth it hell yea. Imagine how much power its putting out now, now imagine what its like even a couple Mhz OC'd, 25% OC'd, ooh 50% OC'd now thats some serious power increase in the chip.

The problem is though, If you change out hardware the game do not know this. With the XBox if you add more mem/cpu you have to patch the games (means burning them and there are few that you can patch like this) to make them utilize the extra resources.

IE If your xbox had 256MB it would still only use the origional 128MB. Console games have very little flex in their programming because they don't have a fancy os like lindows....

Back