• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

about to lap my SI-97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

here in a few hours, i'm headed to go get some sandpaper and such, to lap my SI-97. i want to lap off the nickel plating on the bottom, to expose the copper.

i am just wondering on what grits would help me out the most in doing this. so i don't waste money buying grits i don't need.

i want to do this correctly, and in minimal ammount of time ( i understand it will take some time to do this ).

So any recomendations on some good grits and tools to do this with?

Take your time and make sure you are doing it on a flat surface. Glass, Mirror, Formica Countertop etc. And above all else keep the base flat to the sandpaper. Good luck and post pics when you are done.

yeah, luckely i'm at a friends house, and he has a webcam, and a digital camera ( not to good of one, but i'm sure it could get at least some ok shots for ya guys )

i have my entire computer here with me too. that way i can test out the temps. sadly, they won't be fully accurate, because his room temps is way different from mine.

but we have to wait for his sister to get back home, because he's stuck watching his nephew untill she gets back. then we are headed out to some stores and all.

Think Lowes would have the stuff i need?

Well, one big tip, to tell flatness, use a piece of graph paper to look at the reflection. If all the lines look straight, you have done a good job.

zexmarquies01 said:
yeah, luckely i'm at a friends house, and he has a webcam, and a digital camera ( not to good of one, but i'm sure it could get at least some ok shots for ya guys )

i have my entire computer here with me too. that way i can test out the temps. sadly, they won't be fully accurate, because his room temps is way different from mine.

but we have to wait for his sister to get back home, because he's stuck watching his nephew untill she gets back. then we are headed out to some stores and all.

Think Lowes would have the stuff i need?

I would suggest you go to an Auto Parts Store. In the Auto Body / Paint section I know they will have what you need.

problem is that, i doubt an autoparts store will be open at 8pm around here. i don't live in a high density area. so places close early. and there arn't many places that stay open 24/7 or late.

so i have to make due with what i have.

Back