• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i chipped my CPU...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

when i was working on my computer last night, i put my SI-97 back on and everything like normal.

the problem was that, my case really sucks, to put the SI-97 on, or take it off, i have to unscrew the PSU, and move it out of the way.

well i was putting the PSU back on, and it bumped the top of the HS and pushed the HS downwards, causing the bottom left corner of the chip to chipp.

its a tiny tiny spot. and actually my computer IS working. but the HS has to be propped up in the right spot, because it if angles downwards and touches that spot in the wrong way, it shuts down.

sooo...i grabbed some ductape, and i have the HS taped just right, so it doesn't like angle itself downwards.

its on right now, Installing KOTOR2.

my plan is, to work like this for about a week. long enough for me to deposit 100 bucks into my checking, have the money show up in my account, and then order a new AMD 2600+ Mobile from Newegg. as long as my computer can live till then, i'll be happy.

Bummer. If it's shorting out though can't you just put something non-conductive over the damaged area to prevent it from shorting against the HS? Maybe a spot of superglue?

hmm...not a bad idea. and if i do it right, it may not effect temps...

i'll have to try that here in a few. i'v been sick for a few days, so my ability to think has kinda...diminished. but its coming back to me slowly.

thanks for the idea man.

zexmarquies01 said:
hmm...not a bad idea. and if i do it right, it may not effect temps...

i'll have to try that here in a few. i'v been sick for a few days, so my ability to think has kinda...diminished. but its coming back to me slowly.

thanks for the idea man.

NP. Just seems a shame to scrap the CPU if it stills works. Without knowing the extent of the damage it seems like you could cover it up w/o causing too much degradation in cooling performance. G/L.

Instead of superglue you could put a tiny bit of AA epoxy on top of the chipped spot. It will be hard and unlike superglue it's quite heat conductive, just wait for it to dry and then put regular AS or AA on top and you should be good.

Well, welcome to the club. In this case it's one you'd rather not belong to. I did that to an xp2400, but it didn't short. It lasted about another year and then it went to an early grave. Tis a sad thing to see the young ones go like that, particularly at your own hand. :cry:

yeah, so far its working.

i'm still using my ductape mod to hold the HS in place.

i'll try the other methods mentioned later, when i feel like taking the heatsink off...again.

but as long as i can keep this processor working, i'm fine.

but i'm still probably planning on buying a new 2600+ mobile. that way, if this chip gets any worse, i'll have a spare. and hey with a new chip, i may be able to get a higher overclock too.

and yeah, i finially joined the club. i never really wanted to join personally, but oh well. amazingly i'm not as mad as i thought i would be. concidering yesterday, after work i got laid off. so i have one more check comming to me. heh, so i'm going to be tight on money again till i find another job. and buying a new processor for nearly 100 wasn't really in my budget...but i'm sure i can squeeze it in there sometime soon.

If you're stable at 250x10.5 I wouldn't look to get much more out of another mobile. That's fantastic. I only have one hand picked XP that can do better and that's the infamous IQYHA stepping I specifically hunted down.

well actually at the moment i'm at 250x10 due to heat, since its slowly getting warmer outside.

but actually my chip is running overclocked with that chipped spot in it...so i'm thinking its doing pretty well...

ive chiped a duron 1300 and my willimett 1.5 when i took of the heat spreader and they never had a proplem but i0nce chiped a duron 1200 and it never powered up again(got violent with the heatsink (big chip)) but if urs is crashing i would throw it awaw as soon as u get a replacement

sean478 said:
ive chiped a duron 1300 and my willimett 1.5 when i took of the heat spreader and they never had a proplem but i0nce chiped a duron 1200 and it never powered up again(got violent with the heatsink (big chip)) but if urs is crashing i would throw it awaw as soon as u get a replacement

That reminds me of when I finally gotten an Athlon T-bird B 1.3 Ghz (100 mhz FSB) processor shipped to me back on July 5, 2002 and it only lasting until October 13, 2002, because I wanted to transfer it to another motherboard. When in the process of clipping the heatsink, was impatient enough to scoot the heatsink across the processor core (slid it across the processor core) and thus accidently cracked the processor core (no big chip in the processor core).

I knew that the processor gotten damaged shortly after, because the PC failed to POST! Saw the monitor LED turn green, but then saw the monitor LED turn back to orange! No more signs of life! Not even any bleeps at all! The damage just looked like small specks.

W00ps!!!

RIP Athlon T-bird B 1.3 Ghz processor.

7/5/2002-10/13/2002

The motherboard was definitely fine, because after putting my Athlon T-bird B 900 Mhz (100 mhz FSB) processor back in, it POSTed again.

funny, so many people have cracked their cores on their AMD's.

Blarg, why did i have to be one of those unluckey few?

i just need this processor to live long enough for me to get a new job since i got laid off friday. if i can just get another job, and this processor last a few weeks, i'll order me a replacement ASAP.

Even though i want my computer working perfectly, i have to pay for insurance and all that fun stuff. luckely i still live with my parants, so insurance is really the only expense i really have.

but after this mishap, i'm definetly getting me a new processor.

hell, i'm thinking about saving up enough money, and going to the A64's. but at the moment i don't have quite enough more. as i would need a new mobo, processor, and HS.

but i'll just replace this processor as soon as i know i can afford it. to many times i have cut myself really short on money for insurance when i have gotten laid off.

i just hope the next chip i order can overclock the same as the one i currently have...would be really nice to be able to hit at least 2.5Ghz again.

Back