• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New BOINC Version 4.24 (dev)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ewl2

Berkely has released a new dev version of the BOINC client. This is a major upgrade as it was programmed to run on all platforms.
Another nice feature is that it is designed to run as a service :) they seperated the GUI from the internals. i've had it running for a couple hours today and it ahs been running fine. This version also works with your preferences properly

crunch on :attn:

Gah. it REQUIRES you put in a user password.

This computer doesnt HAVE a password :p

/edit whatever, only computers i would need to run on a service have passwords. Also, i see there is a connect function, is this based off of computer name? If so its not working at all for me.

Last edited:
hmm what OS are u running? you can have set up as the admin acct, and then go into the services and change it to "local system" that is ur running win2k or XP

i haven't tried that connect function yet, i'll let u know if i can get it to work

it wasn't working for einstein so i went back to 4.19. Wasn't working as in, it wouldnt crunch any WU's. (was on for 4-5 hours no progress, yet there was a WU completed for SETI)

Edit: When you have multiple projects running does it compute both at the same time, or does it switch between them every XX minutes?

Last edited:
4.25 is out. Just as an FYI - 4.24 and 4.25 both still seem to ignore switches like -return_results_immediately when running as a service (I'm adding them using regedit to the ImagePath under CurrentControlSet\BOINC\).

If anyone has gotten this to work please let us know how :)
Enk

zulfy26 said:
Edit: When you have multiple projects running does it compute both at the same time, or does it switch between them every XX minutes?
Switches every x minutes. Still doesn't seem to quite switch at the interval you specify in preferences. That must only be part of the calculation of when to switch.

4.24 was ... buggy... when it completed results they were usually VERY small (700 seconds CPU time or so), and would have client errors according to berkley. Also it completley stopped crunching for 5-6 hours and gained 0% progress. I will be happy though when a version that can run as a service is stable and un-buggy.

Guess I'm dropping to 4.19 again - I can't get the boinc manager to tell the boinc executable to use -return_results_immediately - and I am so 'not' dealing with using instsrv and all that just run the executable with no manager.

They really seem disorganized about putting out software... very frustrating.

Back