• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose memory.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Don Baker

I'm looking to buy some new memory. What I'm hoping for is to run it 1-1 with FSB. My FSB is pretty high at 280 right now. Here are some of the sticks I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-227-202&depa=0

OCZ Platinum Enhanced Latency PC-4200 2.5-3-3-8

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-227-017&depa=0

OCZ Platinum Enhanced Latency Dual Channel Series Platinum Edition PC-3700 2-3-3-8

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-004&depa=0

G.skill (Samsung TCCD) PC-4400 2.5-4-4-8

I had never heard of G.skill until a few days ago and I've been reading on this forum and people seem to like them, and it is the cheapest of the bunch. But the timings are not as good, but I wouldn't have any problem running it 1-1 with my FSB. What would you recommend? Anything else I should be looking at? And one more question in my bios the highest DDR voltage I can set it to is 2.85 is that a problem with some of this ram?

GSkill has a better grade pc4400, the le and the LC. Corsair makes a pc4400 that I've seen good reviews on and Monarch is selling it for 265 dollars. However, Sen is right, OCZ is probably the highest quality name right now, but you pay for it. Not having money to burn, I just ordered some PQI pc4000 tccd from Newegg for a bargain price of $219. (Sen's the one who told me about it) I am also hoping it will go up to 275, but it's okay if it doesn't. I'm certainly not buying thinking it's the best, just the best at the price I'm willing to pay. Good luck.

rseven, you should've gotten the $180 one, its cheaper and it IS tccd. i just took the heatspreader off today and found out it is in fact TCCD. i'm sure you'll be happy with it still.

rseven said:
GSkill has a better grade pc4400, the le and the LC. Corsair makes a pc4400 that I've seen good reviews on and Monarch is selling it for 265 dollars.

Yeah the le is sold out on Newegg so I didn't link to that. I saw the LC right under the LD it is ten dollars more but the specs are the same 2.5-4-4-8 but I guess its better it costs more ;)

I'll take a look at that Corsair.

G. Skill is NOT guaranteed to run at PC4400 specs on Intels...those are AMD A64 specs...Intels have been know to hit those timings...but Skill will not guaranteed that ever intel system will support those timings and settings...

And if you do go with the Skills...do not get anything under the LC's

With a Intel system you are really better off with the OCZ's...4200's...those are tested and guaranteed to run on most Intels with their rated timings...

glock19owner said:
G. Skill is NOT guaranteed to run at PC4400 specs on Intels...those are AMD A64 specs...Intels have been know to hit those timings...but Skill will not guaranteed that ever intel system will support those timings and settings...

And if you do go with the Skills...do not get anything under the LC's

With a Intel system you are really better off with the OCZ's...4200's...those are tested and guaranteed to run on most Intels with their rated timings...

Thanks for the info! Didn't know that.

rseven said:
Second thought, I do know that Anandtech does reviews and runs ram on Intel and AMD systems. You might want to check it out.
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/
Okay, Glock, I get one point back! LOL

rotf.gif

I actually just learned that info about the Intels a few days ago myself ;)...from OPB and Jack...thats why i stated some Intels will run at those settings...but most wont/cant run them at those settings so they can not guarantee that the Intels will run at those specs...

But they do guarantee that the A64's will run at those specs (if the CPU memory controller can handle that HT)

Back