• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build: Windows 2000 Pro vs. XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zak_pc

Registered
I built my new machine this weekend. It went fairly well with a couple of minor glitches. The biggest problem was setting up the 1 SATA drive without RAID on the A8V mobo.

Here's the most interesting thing that happend. I originally installed XP Pro. As I was setting up the machine it seemed to run poorly. I installed my DSL software so I could update XP on Microsoft's site. I disabled Windows Messenger before I went online. I was on the internet for about 5 minutes before I got hammered with 2 spyware programs that took over my machine. The only site I went to was microsoft.com. I couldn't even finish updating XP. I said 'screw it'. I reformatted the hard drive and I installed 2000 Pro. That install went flawlessly.

I hate Windows. It's just getting bigger and more bloated with every new edition. I use XP at work and I'm not that impressed with it. I liked 2000 Pro better. How do you all feel about XP vs. 2000 Pro on a new build? By the time Longhorn comes out I think I'm going with a MAC or Linux if I can get my software in Linux formats.

Don't install OS's with a live connection. Chances are you got the same thing on 2000. Code Red or whatever it was. It effects the two differently. If you would have patched windows XP before going online you would not have had any problems.

As for bloated, have you used a mainstream linux lately. Fedora is also quite bloated. Users want more and more from their os and this requires more files. You can customise what is included in your install cd.

Always had run 2000 pro and loved it, made the switch to XP pro and once i disabled all the "fluff" love it more. File sharing on the lan is a breeze in it.

I went from windows 98 straight to XP. I was impressed but the OS was extremely bloated. I decided to get something simpler looking, but still as efficient and went with windows 2000 and I stuck with it. I always recommend it people. I haven't had a single problem with 2000. It's fast. It's reliable. Best M$ OS, imo.

Worried about MS bloat? Use nLite. http://nuhi.msfn.org/

I really like XP. The only reason that I'm tempted to try alternative operating systems is just to try to learn something different. But in all honesty, I find myself much more productive on a OS that is preconfigured and ready for me (Windows).

2000 vs XP. It's a toughy. As far as speed and stability, in my experience, they are both excellent. I've never really ran into an unstable Windows OS in all of my life, except for ME. With bloating- nLite can be used with both 2000 and XP to trim them down a bit- so I really don't consider that a problem. The only eye candy I use for XP that AFAIK 2000 doesn't offer is ClearType. All the blue/green and silver themes are disabled, since I prefer the traditional and functial look of standard windows.

But I've never experienced any real problems with XP or even 2000 for that matter. I think Ebola is right- you are experiencing a not so nice virus.

zak_pc said:
By the time Longhorn comes out I think I'm going with a MAC or Linux if I can get my software in Linux formats.
What software do you need? There are opensource equivalents for many things.

To be more on topic: Windows XP is fine if you turn off all the colorful GUI stuff. There's a nice little program called tuneXP that gives a nice gui to some registry tweaks and sucj that can make your system a lot faster. Personally, though, I use Windows 2000 when I'm not using linux (which isn't often). There's just no reason to upgrade, XP and 2k are not that divverent (NT5.0 vs NT5.1).

zak_pc said:
I built my new machine this weekend. It went fairly well with a couple of minor glitches. The biggest problem was setting up the 1 SATA drive without RAID on the A8V mobo.

Here's the most interesting thing that happend. I originally installed XP Pro. As I was setting up the machine it seemed to run poorly. I installed my DSL software so I could update XP on Microsoft's site. I disabled Windows Messenger before I went online. I was on the internet for about 5 minutes before I got hammered with 2 spyware programs that took over my machine. The only site I went to was microsoft.com. I couldn't even finish updating XP. I said 'screw it'. I reformatted the hard drive and I installed 2000 Pro. That install went flawlessly.

I hate Windows. It's just getting bigger and more bloated with every new edition. I use XP at work and I'm not that impressed with it. I liked 2000 Pro better. How do you all feel about XP vs. 2000 Pro on a new build? By the time Longhorn comes out I think I'm going with a MAC or Linux if I can get my software in Linux formats.

The thing is that you would have been hit with the spyware programs wether you were using XP or 2K. There are a few RPC patches that I have saved and burnt to CD, and these get installed before the machine ever goes online. You can also request the update CD's from MS if you have a retail version of windows. Sometimes they'll send you them even if you just have the OEM version, but it's rare, and they usually charge for them. :rolleyes: But, if you run windows, it's a good idea to have them on CD.

Back