• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

JOURNAL- A64 system, FROM noob to ELITE (with pictures)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlanD911

JOURNAL- A64 system, FROM noob to ELITE (with pictures) UPDATED[MARCH 9TH]

HEY GUYS after tons of research and help from people on this forum I am putting together my first computer AND I'VE SELECTED PARTS FOR IT TO BE AN OVERCLOCKING BEAST. In this post I will show you my journey from noob to elite.

I stopped off at the local tigerdirect and bought myself my CPU, some UV fans, A UV COLD CATHODE, and also some wicked speakers. Unfortunately they didnt have anything else I wanted for my system so I ordered them online. MORE UPDATES ARE YET TO COME. time for the pictures!!!

BEHOLD!
IMG_0141.jpg

IS THAT A LOGITECH Z5300E!? SURE IS BABY!!!

IMG_0140.jpg

What are those funky purple packages u ask? UV LIGHTING AND FANS!!
IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg

another group shot!
IMG_0132.jpg

I wonder what the strange metal chip is? CAN YOU SAY ATHLON 64 3200+ 939 SOCKET!!?!?!!?!?!
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0137.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg
ITS ALL PAMPERED IN ITS PLASTIC STILL!

hmm i smell wirelesss !
IMG_0135.jpg

LASTS BUT NOT LEAST! MY FAVOURITE!
IMG_0144.jpg

Thats it for now folks I cant wait for mr. UPS man to show up with my mobo, vid card, and all that other jaz WILL UPDATE SOON!

Last edited:
That I WILL! a sneak hint at a future upgrade is a DFI LANPARTY ULTRA-D BABY!!!! >:)

I got my 3200+ from Tiger Direct as well, I'm glad I did too, even though it was a bit expensive, I got a CBBHD 0447. The good thing is, I HAD $1000 worth of credit with them from a credit card I applied for in like 1999

I made the mistake of getting the Abit AV8. While the board is insanely fast at stock speeds, overclocking seems impossible due to the AGP/PCI lock being faulty. So, gonna sell it and my Radeon 9800 and see if i can get the DFI NF4 and maybe a x600 XT to hold me over until I afford to pour $500 into a new video card.

ps2cho said:
x600xt = pci-e ?
i believe that the 6600gt PCI-E is better, they sure overclock insane and cheaper too?
http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=1636&s=1
check it out. its interesting as well as informative

It may overclock better, but they're about $70 more than I want to spend. And right now, that's a lot to me.

Here is the card I was thinking of getting. To hold me over until I upgrade.

namgorf said:
Here is the card I was thinking of getting. To hold me over until I upgrade.
Thats basically about a 9600XT AGP performance. I have an overclocked 9600pro and I think it holds it own pretty well actually! Granted, I'm only running 1024x768 res on my 15" LCD but I do have full AA and AF and games are still "playable";)

Eventally I'll probably buy a x800pro or if I want long enough, ATI's next gen. I'd go nvidia, but I'd have to get a new case. I have an older antec case, and both of my drive cases are full of hard drives, a 6800 would have to be intangible in order to fit in my case

I typically game at 1024x768 dispite the fact that I have a 20 in Apple cinema display

namgorf said:
Eventally I'll probably buy a x800pro or if I want long enough, ATI's next gen. I'd go nvidia, but I'd have to get a new case. I have an older antec case, and both of my drive cases are full of hard drives, a 6800 would have to be intangible in order to fit in my case

Huh? The PC 6800 isn't that much bigger than an X800, The Mac 6800 is a full length card though if you're referring to length issues (of course a Mac card wont be that useful in a PC without modification).

Moto7451 said:
Huh? The PC 6800 isn't that much bigger than an X800, The Mac 6800 is a full length card though if you're referring to length issues (of course a Mac card wont be that useful in a PC without modification).

Oh dude, I don't own a mac. I have a big steel eye sore of a custom PC, see my sig. I have that display because I got an obscenely good deal on it.

I've built about 4 systems with the 6800 GT and 2 with the Ultra, and using my mind's eye and comparing it to my current Radeon 9800, it won't fit. Period.

The particular antec case I have has 2 steel drive cages, which in my case, happen to have 6 SATA drives in them. The 6800, with it's 2 4pin connectors would have to be inside my hard drives in order or clear. The only option would be to remove the lower drive cage and like retardly duct tape them in the space between my optical drives.

So. No.

I will eventually buy a new case, but I put a lot of time and effort into my current case and I love it dearly. It has 10 low rpm fans in it and makes me happy.

UPDATE!!!:

HEY MR. POST MAN PUT A RECORD ON I WANT TO DANCE WITH MY BABY!!

Ok guys mr. UPS came knocking on the door today with some new parts for my baby! Here's the groupshot!
IMG_0149.jpg

CHECK OUT THIS CASE!! Chieftec dragon! blue style!
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg

NOW MOVING ONTO MY MOUSE!! Logitech X510 GAMING !!
IMG_0156.jpg
im loving the blue!

Now for the sweetness of WATER COOLING BABY! This is the new corsair COOL kit. I'll do a mini review to show you guys how well it runs when everything comes in the mail.
IMG_0150.jpg

now for a nice gaming keyboard! Logitech elite!
IMG_0151.jpg

Save the best for last! PQI 1gig TCCD ram!!
IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0154.jpg
IMG_0155.jpg

Thats it for now folks. I'm going to have a full picture diary of the install and the parts out of their boxs when everything comes in :) still waiting for my DFI!! MOBO!!

Peace out guys :) tell me what u think

Hey, good luck with that, man. I just built my first computer not too long ago (the one in the sig) and I'm just about done OCing it. If you need help, be sure to ask here, we're all glad to help, especially a first timer.

My biggest peice of advice: DONT TOUCH THE INSIDE OF THE COMP WHEN ITS ON!!! I tried to plug in a floppy when my comp was on, and not only did i plug it in wrong (the 5v line somehow got connected to the ground), I fried my SLI mobo!!! luckly RMA took care of that, but it still sucked.

That CBBHD should OC pretty well, but your RAM will probably have to suffer for it, seeing as its only PC3200. the TCCD chips should help though.

You going with the DFI SLI board? What else are you getting?

Back