• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are raptors all they are cracked up to be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sean478

ive seen alot of people say that raptors are the best thing that ever happened to them but do thet realy stack up to sata II
or pricewise compaired to a sata1 raid 0 aray of the same price
(2 or 4x raid 0 sata1 or II compaired to 1 raptor or raptor raid) of similar price

so are the raptors realy worth the price tag
and even if price isnt a factor does it stack up to sata II

Last edited:
A few things that you need to realize.
  1. There is no single SATA I drive that can maximize 150MB/s
  2. There is no single SATA II drive that can maximize 300MB/s
  3. RAID is good for large file transfers but suffer from latency issues
  4. The best SATA I or II Dual HDD RAID0 setups rarely hit 150MB/s transfers even when run on a board that is not limited by 32Bit PCI
  5. Running a Quad HDD RAID0 Array setup will have too much latency to be beneficial on a desktop environment

Also, you have to realize that the raptors have been out for over a year. When people first got them and started to talk them up, no one was thinking about SATAII and there were no 16 MB cache drives. Technology moves on, but still, only Western Digital has a 10,000 rpm SATA drive.

They are the fastest SATA drive out there, no one is gonna argue with that. But IMHO the price/gb is just terrible. I paid 1/6 the price/gb for my 250gb hitachi SATA drive and it's quieter than a raptor and I'm still usualy the first to load maps in CS:Source and a lot of other games....yeah a raptor would load faster, but with that extra cash I put it toward peripherals (my 2005fpw for example)

I use my raptor as my main OS/Programs Drive. Truely not many other uses for it for space wise. Yes its nice as a single drive and preforms damn fast at doing it. But other drives today are catching up and even surpassing it in some instances.

All in all the raptor drives are nice for a small quick drive, if you want raid get some other drives, you'll get more bang for the buck with them.

SATA II is currently useless unless the motherboard has the interface/support. And dont even talk about PCI cards...HD's on PCI cards are a joke.

jcw122 said:
SATA II is currently useless unless the motherboard has the interface/support. And dont even talk about PCI cards...HD's on PCI cards are a joke.

You mean NCQ and port replication. The maxtor drive's 16 mb cache is still fully operational in SATAI. That is where the drive gets its speed from.

raptors are great i love em. i got 2 of em in raid 0 and hd tach gives me 200Mbs and i got a maxtor 300gb 16mb and i get 100mbs so that drive is fast as well. thats burst transfer speeds and raid is always gonna win. but as far as game load times and program opening raptor rocks

raptors are overpriced for pretty much little gains.

i used to have 2x37gb in raid0 and yeh they were zippy but i wouldn't buy them again. newer drives are almost if not as fast and have much nicer price vs gb ratio.

If you can a raptor used for around $90 I think it is worth it. I mainly want to load my OS and program files as well as games on it. I have a 120GB Samsung SATA for storage.

Probably not. Any RAID configuration requires disks that are fast (rotation, etc.. Raptor does qualify) *and* a number of drives (spindles really.. not aware of any SATA implementation that has this) to achieve any significant performance advantage over the same disks being non RAID. Do a search on Amdahl(s) Law if you are curious. Same principle applies to storage. If you are really instested in high performance RAID systems you should consider SCSI or Fibre. Both used to be more expensive than the Raptor or Sata based solution. Get what you pay for...

Im a big believer in capacity rather than speeds. A harddrive is for storing data. If your system is boggin down get more RAM. Overall I would much rather prefer a 400GB hitachi over a 75GB raptor

Sentential said:
Im a big believer in capacity rather than speeds. A harddrive is for storing data. If your system is boggin down get more RAM. Overall I would much rather prefer a 400GB hitachi over a 75GB raptor

dont make it a choice get both.

you can run a 74gb raptor and a couple 200gb as well :beer:

heh, ordered a raptor this week to replace a standard raid-0 configon some older drives.

I'll get a 2nd Data drive soon enough to compete with it :D

This is an overclockers forum? it is all about every edge we can get?

legendosiris said:
heh, ordered a raptor this week to replace a standard raid-0 configon some older drives.

I'll get a 2nd Data drive soon enough to compete with it :D

This is an overclockers forum? it is all about every edge we can get?

Maybe (probably) I didn't understand your post. How do you do RAID anthinng with one drive? :confused:

Back