• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S754 not capable of 2 dbl sided DIMM's?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mdogs444

My motherboard (Gb-K8NS Pro) cannot handle two sticks of DDR400 @ 200MHz for some reason. if i run 1 stick, its fine. 2 sticks @ 200 then i get no boot. If i use the multiplier then its usually fine. Has anyone heard of this? The guys at Gigabyte are claiming this to be a AMD issue, not gigabyte. Will this change if i go to DFI?

Here is a picture of what they showed me:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/FAQ/faq_amdguide.jpg

This doesn't sound right. I had that same board, and I ran 1 gig of double sided TCCD memory in there all the way up to 285 mhz. Try downloading Memtest86 and see if it is your ram. It sounds like the ram may be faulty.

-Collin-

i would say its your timings you have set .. can you post them please ??

post all of your ram timings ..

amd's spec says that skt 754 do not support more than 1 stick of ds ram. at least, that's what i was told. if you do use more than one stick, it'll default do 166. that's why i went back to one stick. i know a lot of people can run 2 just fine but i can't seem to get it stable above 215 (but ram set to 166 in bios)...

here is a question...... does the ram work in dual channel on another computer? sounds like you might have a bad stick.

i tried running my corsair in the epox mobo, no go at 200...but it runs fine in the dfi.

Double sided or dual banks?

In my rig 1.

I use 2x256 double sided but single bank for each slot and 1x512 double sided with double bank with a total of 4 banks. So with this MOBO if I run more than four banks, freq will drop to 166.

From what I understand inorder for some ddr400 to work they need to have 2.8 volts minimium in s754 platform.

i think that's why folks w/ mobos that have higher vdimm options (2.8+, mine only goes up to 2.8) can get their ram to work fine...

Socket 754 supports double sided memory just fine. Almost all the memory we make is DS and it shows no problems. What you can NOT do is run 3 sticks at 200FSB 1:1 or 2 DS sticks in slots 2+3 (only 1+2 or 1+3 work)

Back