• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 Boot Hang!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerrenD

Hi guys this is my first post and I'll make it brief and comprehensive as to not anger any of the mods or old timers.

I have a ASUS P4P800 (non deluxe) MOBO setup w/ a Geforce FX5500, a WD 80GIG HDD, 350W PSU (came with case!!!) 2.6 p4, Win PROF XP SP 2 v1019 BIOS. three case fans etc.

Problem: When I boot sometimes it hangs at ASUS boot screen for 5-10 minutes and then goes to the Win XP boot screen and fully boots up. Sometimes it will hang indefinitely and never get to the XP screen. Hard drive is new as is everything else. I live in Atlanta and we're known for dirty power so I've got a decent surge protector and I'm about to invest in a Antec 480W PSU. Anyway I'm worried because while it works I'd like to know that if I boot my PC its going to actually BOOT. ANY AND ALL *USEFUL* HELP WILL BE REWARDED! I'll paypal you some beer money or send you any books I'm selling on half.com. Warning! I'm not trying to bribe, just reward people for their time. Thanks in advance!

DD

Doublecheck the jumper settings. Change them on the WD, i've found that some boards and WD drives need different jumper settings other than Master. Try Cable Select. Strange but that's what I've found.

I would definitely thing about getting a better PSU. Generic's are just asking for trouble, most times.

Using AsusProbe, what are your voltage readings showing? If you can get hold of a multimeter, definitely much more accurate than using sofware..

Well, you could try to set all fan rpm monitors in bios->hardware monitor to [ignore] and see if it helps.

I had a problem similar to this. I had to disable the other boot options in the bios to fix it. it was trying to boot off the usb. and i didnt have a usb drive.

Back