• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp-120 vs mcx775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wonko The Sane

Trying to decide between the Thermalright XP-120 and the Swiftech MCX775 for my new prescott system. I have a Delta 120 mm fan rated at 85 CFM I'll be using with either one (will be getting 120mm - 80mm adapter if I go with the Swiftech). I was wondering which of these will perform better.

Thanks in advance

I searched the forums, there isn't a lot of material about the MCX775 but I did find this.

I ordered an XP-120 on Sunday (along with a couple of Delta 3-blade fans to play with, a 25mm and a 38mm). It will be replacing the MCX775-V that I've currently got running on an Intel 530.

FWIW, I've tried the MCX775-V in 4 different configurations (92mm pushing and pulling and 120mm pushing/pulling--using an adaptor, both fans were/are Evercool aluminum ones) and while it isn't "bad," it isn't that good either--the best temps were with the 120mm pushing and an Antec Neo 480 mounted above it pulling the hot air through the PSU, ~42°C idle and ~62°C folding (I'm at work and don't remember the exact temps, but those are close estimates). I was going to let this system sit until I finished the water cooled system I'm building, but I wanted to look at the Delta fans and wound up buying a heatsink to mount them on :) So, if you want to wait a week or so I can let you know how the XP-120 compares.

MVC said:
I ordered an XP-120 on Sunday (along with a couple of Delta 3-blade fans to play with, a 25mm and a 38mm). It will be replacing the MCX775-V that I've currently got running on an Intel 530.

FWIW, I've tried the MCX775-V in 4 different configurations (92mm pushing and pulling and 120mm pushing/pulling--using an adaptor, both fans were/are Evercool aluminum ones) and while it isn't "bad," it isn't that good either--the best temps were with the 120mm pushing and an Antec Neo 480 mounted above it pulling the hot air through the PSU, ~42°C idle and ~62°C folding (I'm at work and don't remember the exact temps, but those are close estimates). I was going to let this system sit until I finished the water cooled system I'm building, but I wanted to look at the Delta fans and wound up buying a heatsink to mount them on :) So, if you want to wait a week or so I can let you know how the XP-120 compares.

I would definately be interested in your results. I saw an article that shows the mcx775 outperforming the xp-120, and I'd like to see your results. I'm not going to be able to put anything together for another few weeks anyway, so please let me know.

Wonko The Sane said:
I would definately be interested in your results. I saw an article that shows the mcx775 outperforming the xp-120, and I'd like to see your results. I'm not going to be able to put anything together for another few weeks anyway, so please let me know.

Hey Wonko, some results: I just got the XP-120 installed with the low speed 38mm Delta fan. Without the AS5 burning in, I'm getting 52-53°C under load :D (Folding) whereas with the MCX775-V I was getting 62-65°C. So, the XP-120 dropped my temps at least 10°C--I'll probably get 1-3°C better once the AS5 burns in.

FWIW, the XP-120 mounts much more securely. I'd mounted the MCX775-V twice, the second time my temps were about 15°C lower compared to the first time so I thought I had a good mount. When I removed it this time, judging by the pattern of the AS5, the sink still wasn't making proper contact. It's almost as if the HS was trying to pull itself off of the chip.... I didn't take the time to mess with it and find out why it wasn't contacting the IHS like it's supposed to so I won't speculate other than to note that it weighs 250g more than the XP-120 so maybe those little springs just can't handle the weight. But the XP-120 mounted very tight so I'm sure I've got a better mount this time. Now, if I can just figure out a way to mount the fan with machine screws rather than those little clips....

I'm using the MCX775-V with a 80mm Tornado and as5, my idle temps are 42-43c, under load they are 56-57c and thats after 6hrs of Prime (large FFT's).
With normal game play like HL2 for about 2hrs I get like 52-53c.
Hope this helps.

hardzip said:
I'm using the MCX775-V with a 80mm Tornado and as5, my idle temps are 42-43c, under load they are 56-57c and thats after 6hrs of Prime (large FFT's).
With normal game play like HL2 for about 2hrs I get like 52-53c.
Hope this helps.

The case has a lot to do with the final temp, and I've got this system in an Antec Sonata which has lousy cooling. You're running about where I wanted to be--I actually would like to have idle temps in the high 30s°C, but I'll take what I can get--I'm going to have to figure out how to turn Folding off so I can get an Idle temp reading, but I can wait until the AS5 burns in.

What actually surprised me was the difference in load temps. The XP-120 is currently running a good 12-13°C lower than the MCX775-V was, though as I noted above the MCX775-V wasn't seated as well as it should have been--nice round pattern to the AS5, but "splochy" like it wasn't making good contact. (If I use that HS again I'll try lapping it first and then use threaded rods as hold-downs rather than the stock springs.) The mounting for the XP-120 is much tighter and more secure, so I'm sure that's one of the reasons I'm getting better temps now.

Think I'll order an xp-120 right now to check it out, do you think the tornado will be good enough or should I go with a different fan?

Well.... You said you've got an 80mm Tornado and the XP-120 uses a 120mm fan. If you got an 120mm Tornado it would work fine--do they make 120mm Tornados? I've only seen 80mm and 92mm ones. I'm currently using the low speed 3-blade 38mm (thick) Delta, but you could use the high speed one if you don't mind the noise.

MVC said:
Well.... You said you've got an 80mm Tornado and the XP-120 uses a 120mm fan. If you got an 120mm Tornado it would work fine--do they make 120mm Tornados? I've only seen 80mm and 92mm ones. I'm currently using the low speed 3-blade 38mm (thick) Delta, but you could use the high speed one if you don't mind the noise.

There are no 120mm Tornados that I am aware of. I suggest you seriously reconsider using a Tornado though, they are unbelievably loud. A quieter choice would be a Panaflo 120mm.

Radical said:
There are no 120mm Tornados that I am aware of. I suggest you seriously reconsider using a Tornado though, they are unbelievably loud. A quieter choice would be a Panaflo 120mm.

I installed a XP-120 with AS5 and a panaflo 120mm fan today, You will not be disapointed. My temps are 31c idle and 43c running prime95.

mvc, i suggest maybe trying a delta fan on the mcx 775, see wut happens, THEN try the xp-120, to get proper results for comparing :) i like my swiftech 5400 keeps my idle around 33-34 on my a64 4300+

ive got an xp-120 on my P4 3.0C and love it. my temps dropped by about 8 degrees C from my shoddy vantec aeroflow 2. I use a 120x38mm panaflo and rarely break 54 degrees. one thing to note, and I think I saw a review that confirmed this.... the xp-120 does so much work by itself that you dont need a super fast (loud) fan. After running my panaflo at full speed for several months, I got a speed controller and dropped it to 5V. MUCH quieter and my temps only rose by a few degrees at load. you cant go wrong with the xp-120

I just put an Thermalright 120 with a Thermaltake Thunderblane 120 on my son Pentimun 3.2, it drop the temps from (stock Intel) 14c now at 43c. An easy install on the Pentimun boards with plenty of top and back clearence on his Viper case. I would highly reccommend. should get an addition few c when burned in.

Radical said:

Nope no such thing as a 120mm Tornado. Though Sunon(The real maker of the Tornado that Vantec puts their name on) does make a model similar in the 120mm size. Good luck finding it though. May I recommend a nice Delta from Sidewinder Computer

Back