• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drivers needed to install OS on SATA drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SenorBeef

On my previous board, during a windows install to a SATA drive, I'd have to load the SI 3112 driver disk into the floppy drive when it asked for it.

I've got a K8N Neo now, and I want to install windows to an SATA drive. Do I need special drivers during install, or has the K8N gotten past this somehow? If so, which drivers? What's the model number of the SATA controller?

Also, I heard about 2 ports being connected to the CPU, ran by whatever nforce3 uses as a northbridge, and 2 ran by a dedicated SATA controller. Is that correct? If so, which is which? And which do I want my 2 SATA drives on?

It's not the motherboard...or the system for that matter...that has to get "passed" this. It's the operating system. Unless your operating system has the drivers available to it, you will need to throw them on a disk and use F6 (third party driver install) like you did before.

I'm not positive which controller is on it...that info would be on the manufacturer's website...I'm guessing it's probably a Silicon Image 3114 though.

Right, I understand. I'm probably going to have to use the disk.

But everywhere I've gone so far says "4x SATA Ports", nothing about which specific controller. Even newegg, which usually lists that spec, just says "4x SATA ports" for it.

So I do need the drivers on disk..... I just need to figure out where to get these drivers.

I was told you didn't need a disk to install it on xp sp 2, but what about win2k? anyone know?

I just installed winxp sp2 on a raid on the K8N. It took me forever and a day to figure it out. You have to have a floppy with the proper drivers and the SATA drives plugged into the 1 and 2 ports. If I used ports 3 and 4 for the install, windows setup would not see them. After the install you can switch from 1 and 2 to 3 and 4. The drivers are here, and yes, you need to get two of them.

Drivers here

Back