• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bah, who needs round cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Knivez

I pride my self in using zero bought round cables. And yet I still have what I believe to be a very neat wiring job.

Without door:
dscf00861jt.jpg

With door:
dscf00870xj.jpg

My um. . . . computer area:
dscf00889jx.jpg

Yes, I like Pepsi.

So basically, screw buying rounded cables, this is basically free. Just use your existing cables, bunch them up, and put some wire ties around 'em.

Not seeing the pics, but folding the cabled over on them selves and taping them works great. Been doing that for years. I do use round cables on my current machein however. On my last box, useing an NF7 board, I was able to hide the ribbon cables very nicely as Abit puts the IDE connecters at the edge of the board facing the front of the case rather than the side.

Last edited:
Knivez said:
dscf00889jx.jpg

Yes, I like Pepsi.
Ahh that looks familiar, except for me theres usually a couple dozen empty Code Red cans. :)

Nice wiring job. I'll take flat cables any day over round ones. They are easier to route and with proper folding/taping its cleaner than rounded. Eh... just make everything SATA. :p

wow, those Pepsi will destoy your keyboard someday. I got 2 like that gone.

Also i notice alot ppl using Tt case. I think you guys are feeding them so they can live and come up with crazy ideas ;).

I used to make my own "round cables" until I realized you can get them for like a dollar, so I bit the bullet. Nice wiring job by the way.

MameXP said:
wow, those Pepsi will destoy your keyboard someday. I got 2 like that gone.

Also i notice alot ppl using Tt case. I think you guys are feeding them so they can live and come up with crazy ideas ;).
As much as I hate Tt, I love the Xaser 3 ... VERY solid. Plus, isn't too ACTION PACKED or too bland, I love my X3.

nice cabling job, guys. I am with you, round cables are nice, but folding the flat cables works just as well. it's very hard to take up slack with a rounded cable, but a ribbon cable can just be folded.

mmm... folding...

yea round cables suk they dont bend verry well at all and where they conect bends and makes it look all broken i usaly just find someway to route the 80 pin cables with out bending them it usaly looks good if the cable is black but other than that when i need a round cable i just take a old 40 pin and fold it up with nylon ties

ps. nice pepsi can collection

i was lazy and spent the three extra dollars on the round cables but the UV reactive covering looks awesome under UV lights. I can see you are also a dell convert like me (I got the same monitor)

obligatory cablegami from silentpcreview:

Wilhelm-Tell:
antec29jf.jpg

Nevarion:
nevarionrig.jpg

and of course the cablegami godfather, Ralf Hutter
3700AMB_P4C_09b.jpg

sure it's easier to make sata cables clean, but i'll feel a slight loss of an art form when ide ribbons are finally phased out.

i read somewhere that folding IDE multiple times (not the cablegami method, but like the first post" will raise the crosstalk and interference of the signal and can result in data loss

yeah we do go a bit too far sometimes. but when you're dealing with ~20 cfm of air movement for your whole case, you have to keep it as clean as possible.

Those are the tidyiest cases I've ever seen. Scarily tidy actually. They're freaking me out!!!! :p

Back